Peter Jackson filming The Hobbit in 48fps! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Default Peter Jackson filming The Hobbit in 48fps!

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/peter-...mes-per-second

Wonder how this will look on Blu-ray!

On second thought, I'm not sure BD supports 1080p/48...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:51 PM

I'm sure it does support it. If not, it supports 50fps. So, I'd assume firmware update.

I was reading about this the other day. Not excited about the news one bit. However, it is being filmed in 3d and this will help with the motion problems 3d has currently. Still I hate 3d and dislike 48/60fps filmed content.

I honestly stopped caring about the Hobbit once I heard it was going to be two films. Seriously, the more I hear the less excited I get for it. It's a shame. It's a fantastic book.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Jackson is just following on the heels of James Cameron, who will be shooting the Avatar sequels this way:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/james-cameron-48-fps/

Blu-ray does not support 48 fps, nor will your HDTV accept a 48 fps input signal.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Former Member

so....when Hobbit Blu-ray time comes rolling out, expect HOW many sites to have forums go insane that it's not in 48? i can see it now!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Jackson is just following on the heels of James Cameron, who will be shooting the Avatar sequels this way:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/james-cameron-48-fps/

Blu-ray does not support 48 fps, nor will your HDTV accept a 48 fps input signal.
I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing TVs support it. Though, I think their might be a conversion process to just render the motion out in 50 or 60fps. I mean, most people see 24 playedback at 30fps.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I'm sure it does support it. If not, it supports 50fps. So, I'd assume firmware update.

I was reading about this the other day. Not excited about the news one bit. However, it is being filmed in 3d and this will help with the motion problems 3d has currently. Still I hate 3d and dislike 48/60fps filmed content.

I honestly stopped caring about the Hobbit once I heard it was going to be two films. Seriously, the more I hear the less excited I get for it. It's a shame. It's a fantastic book.
Yes, it might well make 3D easier to watch.

I also think it's very strange that a very short book like The Hobbit is being filmed in 2 parts! Still, Smaug will be amazing on the big screen!!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 PM

So will current theater projectors even support 48 fps playback?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM

By seeing that it will be filmed at 48fps, I will assume that this will equate to 24fps per eye for 3D viewing. And a 24fps master would be made for 2D viewing. I don't know if I'm right about that, but it feels right to me.

Also: In the related article, there are 48fps projection systems.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
By seeing that it will be filmed at 48fps, I will assume that this will equate to 24fps per eye for 3D viewing. And a 24fps master would be made for 2D viewing. I don't know if I'm right about that, but it feels right to me.

Also: In the related article, there are 48fps projection systems.
No. 48fps means pretty much double the frames. Which means double the motion. It will fix the judder associated with 24fps. It'll also rid the softness and blur factor of movement and detail. It'll be like viewing video.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 PM

I think this is just silly. Why do this when the mass amounts of hardware, and the HD format we have right now won't support it? Also, this will be a much harder sell than 3D for the mass consumer if you had to buy all new equipment for it. It's relatively easy to sell someone into buying a 3D TV if they like the look of it. It would be much harder to make someone think they need new equipment just so they can watch the 'Avatar' sequels and 'The Hobbit' in its native frame rate. Most people would be like, "Huh? What you talkin' about?"

Plus, like has been mentioned before, it seems like 1 step forward but 2 steps back. Even though 48fps seems like the logical upgrade it isn't because it feels and looks cheaper. Like a videotaped soap opera.

Twitter: @AaronPeck