'Somewhere' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Default 'Somewhere' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has reviewed Sofia Coppola's 'Somewhere.' He says this film goes nowhere new. We've seen much of this already in her earlier, better films. This Blu-ray features above average video and audio, but nothing to shake a high-def top shelf audio setup at.
A rental at best.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4733/somewhere.html
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM

I think Aaron may have misinterpreted the film; Roger Ebert certainly would. I don't know if this would change his view of the film, but I don't think Somewhere is a straightforward redemption story, and Aaron may be filling in the gaps with Hollywood tropes when there is no evidence to suggest such a course for Johnny Marco. Quite the opposite in fact.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Damn i just bought this movie, based on. Positive reviews...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeldsen View Post
Damn i just bought this movie, based on. Positive reviews...
You may like the movie. I didn't however. Coppola covered all of this stuff in 'Lost in Translation' with more interesting characters. There's nothing about Marco that makes me want to care about him.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 AM

My friend rented this today, and I thought this was an EXCELLENT movie! This movie was nowhere near my radar, and, after watching it, I had to put it in my "too buy later" list on Amazon.

Sorry to disagree with you on this one Aaron. Your review was still well written, but we're on the exact polar opposites when it comes to this movie. I found both Dorf and Fanning's to both be engaging, dynamic, characters. They completely sucked me into their lives, and didn't let me go until the end of the picture. I think it helps that I'm at a crossroads in my life too, where I'm just completely apathetic towards everything, and like Dorf's character some times the most excitement I can muster is just staring blankly at a white wall......it's just too bad that my white wall doesn't have twin strippers dancing on poles.

I was also completely enamored by the pacing of this film. Whole scenes of just strippers dancing on poles to the Foo Fighters in the background, 3 minute ice skating scenes, scenes of driving in circles for minutes on end, scenes of Dorf sitting in a makeup chair, and scenes just kicking back and playing Guitar Hero. Sure, Coopola has done these long, drawn out, scenes before in "Lost in Translation", but count me in the minority of people who like this film BETTER than "Lost in Translation." I felt a disconnect with Murray and Johansen's characters, in "Lost in Translation" because of the settings and situations in that film. For some reason, the setting and situations in "Somewhere" just seemed more realistic too me. It was stuff that I could relate too a lot more....even though I'm not an actor...lol.

Oh...and it also helps that this film likes to show off a bunch of topless females...that never hurts a movie's score for me. I'm going an easy 4.5-5 out of 5 on this one.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned

This is like watching paint dry.

Loved LiT...but this one just stinks.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Former Member

so...how 'bout that Chris Pontius?!?!? </sarcasm>
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
so...how 'bout that Chris Pontius?!?!? </sarcasm>
THAT'S WHO THAT IS!

Im watching it now...so boring. What's the plot?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Former Member

yeah, i'm not too interested in this one, despite being a fan of the director's works. the cast and synopsis, just do not interest me one bit. i want to see how much of a trainwreck Pontius is, yeah, but not enough to buy it.

i know, judging a book by its cover. since i'm spending much less on discs right now, i'm allowing myself that much so as to not spend on what i don't NEED.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 AM

Yeah, this movie is like watching paint dry....but in a good way. lol. I guess I was just in the right mindset to be watching this movie, at the time that I watched it, because it really hit the spot for me. I'll gladly buy a copy of this...somebody put up a copy in the trading forum