'Babe' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Default 'Babe' - High-Def Digest Review

We have just reviewed 'Babe.' This a is a great film for kids, adults, and the whole family. This Blu-ray release looks pretty good, but there are some shaky moments. Literally. Audio is a bit better. Extras are thin, but occasionally interesting. This is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4153/babe.html
Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM

I really love this film!!! There is something about the message or the way its told that grabs me everytime is my guilty pleasure is like Pleasantville, is so simple but so great at the same time.

Too bad the second part became what it became The second part was kind of coll until the end where it was too stupid, but oh well.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM

one of my favorites, that'll do pig
Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Well. At least it's not "Gordy".
Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 PM

This is certainly better than the hard to find DVD. At least, it was hard to find for me. There's like two versions, and one of them was non anamorphic. Ugh. So, this will be the first time I'll have seen the film since VHS.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM

I remember when Siskel & Ebert gave part 2 two thumbs up. I think it was even on Siskel's best of list for that year.

I've never seen either.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Put this on the other night because my wife went out and our dog was depressed. Thought it might cheer her up as she loves watching animals on screen, and I still absolutely loved it.

I was really against seeing it for the first time (back then I always rebelled against hyped-up movies... I guess not much has changed), but it certainly delivered. The film just leaves me feeling good, which not many seem to be capable of these days. And the fairytale style is perfectly balanced with the reality of the story (perhaps not the talking animals or the 'sheep-pig'... but as addressed in the review, the film doesn't try to hide the horrors of their fate). The score has always been notable to me as well, despite having a horrid soundtrack release littered with dialogue samples.

The transfer is very adequate, if a little dated... and I was taken aback when I suddenly realised that this film is 16 years old! The CGI effects on the animal mouths weren't too bad given modern standards, and were definitely state-of-the-art back in the day. If anything, I found the animatronics to be a little jerky and tarnished the memory a little... but overall, this was a great trip down memory lane and it helpd up far better than most beloved 'classics'.

I must say that I have never seen the second one from start to finish... but have probably seen most scenes out of order. I do remember it being one of those films that divided critics, with some seeing genius and others just seeing cheap cash-in.

What I found more interesting was the debate over the first one being labelled an Australian film, given its crew... but my argument (and for the record, I am Australian) was always that the film was commissioned and paid for by US dollars through a US studio, and therefore it is a US product. Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
Put this on the other night because my wife went out and our dog was depressed. Thought it might cheer her up as she loves watching animals on screen, and I still absolutely loved it.

I was really against seeing it for the first time (back then I always rebelled against hyped-up movies... I guess not much has changed), but it certainly delivered. The film just leaves me feeling good, which not many seem to be capable of these days. And the fairytale style is perfectly balanced with the reality of the story (perhaps not the talking animals or the 'sheep-pig'... but as addressed in the review, the film doesn't try to hide the horrors of their fate). The score has always been notable to me as well, despite having a horrid soundtrack release littered with dialogue samples.

The transfer is very adequate, if a little dated... and I was taken aback when I suddenly realised that this film is 16 years old! The CGI effects on the animal mouths weren't too bad given modern standards, and were definitely state-of-the-art back in the day. If anything, I found the animatronics to be a little jerky and tarnished the memory a little... but overall, this was a great trip down memory lane and it helpd up far better than most beloved 'classics'.

I must say that I have never seen the second one from start to finish... but have probably seen most scenes out of order. I do remember it being one of those films that divided critics, with some seeing genius and others just seeing cheap cash-in.

What I found more interesting was the debate over the first one being labelled an Australian film, given its crew... but my argument (and for the record, I am Australian) was always that the film was commissioned and paid for by US dollars through a US studio, and therefore it is a US product. Thoughts?
Mad Max director directed and wrote the sequel. Total win.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 PM

In fact, when I watched Babe the other day, I was surprised to see that it was directed by Chris Noonan... and I had always thought it was George Miller.

As an American... when people refer to Mad Max, are they referring to the first Mad Max, or Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, which I always determined to be more popular with American audiences.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
In fact, when I watched Babe the other day, I was surprised to see that it was directed by Chris Noonan... and I had always thought it was George Miller.

As an American... when people refer to Mad Max, are they referring to the first Mad Max, or Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, which I always determined to be more popular with American audiences.
Babe 2 is written and directed by George Miller.