'Tron - 2D / Tron Legacy - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM

Default 'Tron - 2D / Tron Legacy - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Tron - 2D / Tron Legacy - 3D' has just been posted. Steve Seebacher says this massive set is THE Blu-ray set for the serious 'Tron' fan. In addition to both films, the second in 2D and 3D, this set comes loaded with extras. The Blu-rays feature stellar video and audio. Extras are thorough and fascinating. This is a must own!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4684...nlegacy3d.html
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Can't wait for my copy to come

Hopefully we'll see for sure what the Tron 3 sneak peek will be like..if it is actually included
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Excited to see this since I missed it in the theaters! Cant wait to hear the audio as well!

I am bummed about the variable aspect ratio though since this flat out does not work with a 2.35 screen for those of us doing the zoom method especially If any scope users have watched this, how well do the 1.78 scenes crop to 2.35? I will probably just run this film at 2.35 and hope the 1.78 scenes dont overspill too much valuable picture info...........why in the hell could they not offer a constant aspect version for scope users either through seamless branching or a different release alltogether like they did for Transf 2???
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Gear/Equipment?

Steve,

Thank you for the fantastic review! Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what type of 3D equipment you are using? I always like to know, so that if I don't see the same exact results, I can attribute it to my equipment. Are you using a 3D projector? Or do you have either the VT20/25, or GT25 series Panasonic plasma, or the C7000 or C8000 series Samsung plasma. I'm assuming you're not using an LCD for 3D viewing right?

I would really appreciate you sharing this info, along with what type of A/V Receiver or amplifier you are using, and what type of speakers you are listening to.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM

Oh by the way, I am using a 65" VT25 for my primary 3D viewing.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihdeeohfieuhl View Post
I'm assuming you're not using an LCD for 3D viewing right?
Yeah, that would horrible! He'd have to turn in his reviewer badge.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
Excited to see this since I missed it in the theaters! Cant wait to hear the audio as well!

I am bummed about the variable aspect ratio though since this flat out does not work with a 2.35 screen for those of us doing the zoom method especially If any scope users have watched this, how well do the 1.78 scenes crop to 2.35? I will probably just run this film at 2.35 and hope the 1.78 scenes dont overspill too much valuable picture info...........why in the hell could they not offer a constant aspect version for scope users either through seamless branching or a different release alltogether like they did for Transf 2???
do you mean to say that when it comes to movies in 2:35, you actually zoom in to get rid of the "black bars"? because if so, i gotta say i've never heard of people doing that, especially not on these sorta sites that seems to be pro "keep it as it was intended".

if you do, i guess i know what your issue is as zooming in would crop the 1.78 scenes more. but i cant comment on this movie but with Dark Knight, you dont even really notice the constant changing because you're just paying attention to the movie. it was the same when i saw it in IMAX theaters, most of the time i didnt realize it had changed from one format to the next.

but yeah, if you have a widescreen television...you should always leave the image alone and view it as it was intended. speaking as someone who once hated those pesky "black bars" for a long time, you get over it and get passed it when you watch enough movies.

but you must have one of those good zooms. the ones on my tv just literally zoom into the image thus cutting off the sides and sometimes the top/bottom depending on the ratio. i miss my old DLP that didnt do that and actually had a zoom that would literally take a 2:35 image and make it 1.78 without missing or cutting anything. its ironic that my current tv is more recent and supposedly better but cant do that. lol (that zoom was very useful for older dvds that werent anamorphic, it made they seem like they were)
Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM

Great to see that the original 'Tron' was treated right and got as good as could be expected transfer. So excited to buy this one. I'll have to play it when my neighbors go out of town, because I'm going to want to crank it up.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
do you mean to say that when it comes to movies in 2:35, you actually zoom in to get rid of the "black bars"? because if so, i gotta say i've never heard of people doing that, especially not on these sorta sites that seems to be pro "keep it as it was intended".

if you do, i guess i know what your issue is as zooming in would crop the 1.78 scenes more. but i cant comment on this movie but with Dark Knight, you dont even really notice the constant changing because you're just paying attention to the movie. it was the same when i saw it in IMAX theaters, most of the time i didnt realize it had changed from one format to the next.

but yeah, if you have a widescreen television...you should always leave the image alone and view it as it was intended. speaking as someone who once hated those pesky "black bars" for a long time, you get over it and get passed it when you watch enough movies.

but you must have one of those good zooms. the ones on my tv just literally zoom into the image thus cutting off the sides and sometimes the top/bottom depending on the ratio. i miss my old DLP that didnt do that and actually had a zoom that would literally take a 2:35 image and make it 1.78 without missing or cutting anything. its ironic that my current tv is more recent and supposedly better but cant do that. lol (that zoom was very useful for older dvds that werent anamorphic, it made they seem like they were)
When I say I am using the zoom method, I am not altering or loosing ANY of the viewable picture area for 2.35/40 films. When you have a scope projection screen (2.35-2.40) and a front projector, using the zoom method simply means making the projected image big enough so the 2.35 image fills up your screen which puts the black bars outside of the viewable area........you dont loose ANY viewable picture and you dont distort the intended geometry in ANY way.

I understand what you are talking about as far as a zoom feature which I also have, but this is not that.

Josh Z explains the zoom method better than I just did above in this article.........http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/2798. Scroll down to the section titled "the zoom method".

As you can imagine, variable aspect movies in this type of situation are VERY annoying and dont work as intended because once the frame opens up to 1.78, all that extra info is projected outside the viewable screen area and looks like crap

Last edited by ToddS; 03-31-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuv3M3 View Post
Can't wait for my copy to come ...
Right with you on that! --Expecting the full wallet-crunching Limited Edition set from Amazon.

I'm just a little surprised at the review regarding special features: you mean, we're only getting less than 60mins of docu-stuff for Tron Legacy? (I smell a double-dip around the holidays, if that's true.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
...I am bummed about the variable aspect ratio though since this flat out does not work with a 2.35 screen for those of us doing the zoom method especially If any scope users have watched this, how well do the 1.78 scenes crop to 2.35? I will probably just run this film at 2.35 and hope the 1.78 scenes dont overspill too much valuable picture info...........why in the hell could they not offer a constant aspect version for scope users either through seamless branching or a different release alltogether like they did for Transf 2???
While I'm not a scope user, and while I still haven't watched my copy of Dark Knight (and was always put-off by knowing that it has shifting ratios) ... I will say this from the theatrical experiences: as incredibly awesome as Tron Legacy is in 2.35:1, it's 10 times better with the IMAX native ratio. I saw TL 6 times in the theaters, if I recall: once in a Cinemark 3D XD Cinema, twice in a mall-IMAX (non-native) theater, and once each in two different real-IMAX theaters.

Seeing it at Navy Pier was probably the most impactful experience, since the added height and clarity really immerses you in the action scenes. It's kind of a 'floating effect', when you're suddenly not able to see the top/bottom edge of the screen. Along with the pounding music, this really "puts you on the Grid".

Now, whether or not your screen setup is big enough to approximate that experience (if you pull back to the proper 1.78:1 default ratio, and go with letterboxing for the 2.35:1 stuff), I don't know. I'm even wondering how it will play for me on my 60".

But, I will say that based upon my theatrical experiences, you're going to lose a lot of the drama that the open-frame segments had. They weren't 'random' choices, either. Whenever a cool action scene kicks in, they open up to full IMAX.

--BTW, You do realize the irony of your "dilemma", right? The 'scope' setup is an AV Enthusiast's obsession to be (allegedly) "true" to the theatrical experience ..... yet your first thought is just to crop the original director's vision because it's not all filmed at the same aspect ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
... So excited to buy this one. I'll have to play it when my neighbors go out of town, because I'm going to want to crank it up.
I'm afraid for them (my neighbors) at how loud I may need to play this one.