'X-Men Trilogy' & 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' digibooks coming May 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-28-2011, 03:12 PM

What is with the reissues with the digibook treatment?? This is just me but....I dont think these particular movies should get a digibook release. I think they should only release digibook releases for the classics (ex. Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory) like Sound Of Music, Wizard Of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Star Wars.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM

I can see the first two getting a digibook-- but X-Men Origins Wolverine?! Maybe it includes the Weapon X comic, so you can see how much better the original story was than the movie.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 PM

This kind of cheapens the idea of digibooks... well, maybe that means the Digibook of Seven will go down in price, that would be nice.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM

^^^ "Seven" is on sale for $18.99 on Amazon right now. Cheapest it's ever been, I believe.

Also, we don't really know what Fox plans on doing with their Digibooks.

Generally, Warner has only released special, well respected films as Digi... but then again, "Falling Down", the original "Clash of the Titans", and "300" were given the treatment too.

Sony has exclusively reserved it for anniversary editions of classic films.

Fox on the other hand hasn't really given us enough films in digibook format to judge their motivations. "Rocky Horror" is a cult film; "Sound of Music" was a box office smash. "An Affair to Remember" and "All About Eve" are academy award winners, and were part of the Fox Studio Classics line on DVD. Honestly, it could simply be their best-selling, highest grossing films that Fox plans on giving the treatment to which all four of the "X-Men" films are.

*Plus, don't overlook the fact that Digibooks are a nice way for studios to repackage discs and keep the price high. Fox/MGM is also releasing a string of lower-priced (DVD combo less) versions of other, less successful / well-respected films around the same time, but at a lower cost.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Fox needs to concentrate on releasing NEW catalog titles on blu, instead of this crap.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM

If I can find the first two for a cheap price, I'd pick them up, but to be honest, Fox does not know how to do digibooks compared to WB. Although, I still cannot figure out why they never did a digibook to Maltese Falcon or The Shining. At least they have one for Clockwork Orange coming out.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
^^^ "Seven" is on sale for $18.99 on Amazon right now. Cheapest it's ever been, I believe.
Awesome, that's a step in the right direction, it's the first time I've seen it for less than $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Also, we don't really know what Fox plans on doing with their Digibooks.

Generally, Warner has only released special, well respected films as Digi... but then again, "Falling Down", the original "Clash of the Titans", and "300" were given the treatment too.

Sony has exclusively reserved it for anniversary editions of classic films.

Fox on the other hand hasn't really given us enough films in digibook format to judge their motivations. "Rocky Horror" is a cult film; "Sound of Music" was a box office smash. "An Affair to Remember" and "All About Eve" are academy award winners, and were part of the Fox Studio Classics line on DVD. Honestly, it could simply be their best-selling, highest grossing films that Fox plans on giving the treatment to which all four of the "X-Men" films are.

*Plus, don't overlook the fact that Digibooks are a nice way for studios to repackage discs and keep the price high. Fox/MGM is also releasing a string of lower-priced (DVD combo less) versions of other, less successful / well-respected films around the same time, but at a lower cost.
I agree that there's no definition of which movies should be released in digibooks, but I think if studios continue to just repackage existing content as digibooks they will devalue the "brand' as it were and those higher prices won't be as well accepted.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM

This is a money grab to elevate the price of the now quite devalued X-Men BDs for new buyers, and of course to get double dips from (a) hard core X-Men fans and (b) OCD Digi-Book collectors.

This will get them some fresh, higher priced inventory into the system that they can cross promote with the new X-Men movie. Digi-Book has *always* been about increasing wholesale price without adding much overhead to the product. In Fox's case they've realized that whipping up a quickie Digi-Book cover and slapping a three year old disc in creates a nice high margin double dip product. I'd expect them to continue doing a slash and burn through their previously released titles if they get an even modest wholesale response on these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
I agree that there's no definition of which movies should be released in digibooks,
Its gonna boil down to: whatever movie the studio thinks you'll buy. These guys are in the business of selling as much product in any way shape or form that they can. Some studios are of course more respectful to the actual films than others, but Fox is probably on.. the lower end of that scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
but I think if studios continue to just repackage existing content as digibooks they will devalue the "brand' as it were and those higher prices won't be as well accepted.
Of course. Its like comic books in the early 90s (everyone here is old enough to remember that right? right??), when the comic studios realized that collectors would buy multiple copies of the same book if they made multiple covers or - especially - gimmick covers. The industry was awash in multi-cover comics, foil covers, chrome covers, etc... and it just got ridiculous. Once new gimmick comics were on the shelves every month, it of course destroyed the uniqueness, and desirability of the product.

So to the folks that are Digi-Book collectors; look out. If there's enough of you the studios will zoom in and eventually sell you boat loads of money grubbing crap. So don't say you weren't warned when you finally realize something is terribly wrong as you're sliding Gigli:The Digi-Book into your collection
Old 03-29-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
I can see the first two getting a digibook-- but X-Men Origins Wolverine?! Maybe it includes the Weapon X comic, so you can see how much better the original story was than the movie.
Just wait for the X-Men Origins: Wolverine Criterion Collection.