Spot Kiosks Rent Blu-rays For 89 Cents a Night - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Spot Kiosks Rent Blu-rays For 89 Cents a Night

The new company has debuted in Riverside, California and has Redbox in its sights.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/24/s...e-and-conveni/
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Good deal! Hope they expand quickly. I'd use them.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Can't I just pay my $20 a month for Netflix and get 2 at a time (Blu-ray) and save myself those a la carte prices?

Ya gotta love instant gratification.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Great deal for the limited consumers this effects (So-Cal). I don't really get the quote, "to combat what company president Greg Waring calls "the perception of price gouging for Blu-ray." After all it is only just that-- "perception". I know that the studios do charge clients like Redbox more for those Blu Ray rental versions than that of the dvd counterpart. So, who wants to pay more for a higher quality presentation? As both a renter and purchaser of the Blu Ray format, I will (and have been). It won't break the bank to pay $1.50 vs $1 (or .89 cents each IF I rent 2 ). To me, I just want to see a better selection of Blu Ray titles. My perception is that if this company uses this loss leader mentality, they will not even be able to afford to keep stocking the format for the long run! Inevitably, if this company SPOT--gets big enough--they will find it nearly impossible to stock those kiosks adequately without working with the studios. If SPOT ends up scooping up the retail copies--consumers that want to purchase the film will find barren shelves on release date at various retailers!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM

I still value my time more. Gas is expensive right now, and I will NEVER seek out material when I can just sit back and wait for my movies in the mail. I'm never without material to watch, so I don't mind waiting 28 days for popular releases.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I still value my time more. Gas is expensive right now, and I will NEVER seek out material when I can just sit back and wait for my movies in the mail. I'm never without material to watch, so I don't mind waiting 28 days for popular releases.
ON the other hand... you have to leave your house at some point for random errands - I wouldn't seek out a SPoT, or at least it would have to be damn close, then again if there was one where I already am I'd do it. 25 in one city seems like a lot.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
ON the other hand... you have to leave your house at some point for random errands - I wouldn't seek out a SPoT, or at least it would have to be damn close, then again if there was one where I already am I'd do it. 25 in one city seems like a lot.
Depends. When I'm running errands I stick to running the errand. I hate running errands, so the sooner I'm done with them the better. I don't have the patience or the time to get derailed.