'Monsters' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Default 'Monsters' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'Monsters.' He says this film was one of the best surprises of 2010. A surprisingly poignant, adventurous little sci-fi film! This Blu-ray features just about average video, better audio, but heaps, and heaps, and HEAPS of high-def extras. Recommended!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4345/monsters.html
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 PM

I was really looking forward to this one when it came out, which is probably why I was so disappointed. And not because of a lack of action or aliens, but for a lack of a connection to any of the characters. I admire the amount of work that the writer/director/brainchild did, but ultimately it was a real snoozer. For being a real-life couple, the lead actors had very little on-screen chemistry. I just never cared about either of them. And (what I saw as) the whack-you-over-the-head comparison to border control/illegal immigration was off-putting.

I would definitely tell people to give it a rent, because it has it's moments. And like Nate (Natalie? sorry, I just read the "Ran" review), some people might really enjoy it. I'm just glad I didn't blind-buy, even at ~$15.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM

I found this to be a sort of useless film. The allegory isn't strong enough to be any kind of meaningful and the creatures themselves, which get a maybe combined 5 minutes of screen time, are just floating squids that don't do anything. To me the story of Monsters was "are these two going to hook up or not" and either way I didn't really care.

This movie isn't embarrassing, or really even that bad, but it goes to show that hype plays a big part in critical acclaim. Monsters was in theaters for a weekend and made zero dollars. Therefore, with no expectations, it seems like more and better than what it really is. Just because it isn't loud and obnoxious doesn't mean it's good. I saw Cloverfield opening night and I felt like I got my money's worth. I saw this for free on Netflix and I feel like they owe me.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjustWoRX View Post
I was really looking forward to this one when it came out, which is probably why I was so disappointed. And not because of a lack of action or aliens, but for a lack of a connection to any of the characters. I admire the amount of work that the writer/director/brainchild did, but ultimately it was a real snoozer. For being a real-life couple, the lead actors had very little on-screen chemistry. I just never cared about either of them. And (what I saw as) the whack-you-over-the-head comparison to border control/illegal immigration was off-putting.

I would definitely tell people to give it a rent, because it has it's moments. And like Nate (Natalie? sorry, I just read the "Ran" review), some people might really enjoy it. I'm just glad I didn't blind-buy, even at ~$15.
Ran, yeah, that was a fun little thread. nothing makes for a more lively thread than to call someone a he/she. well, some things do. like all you can eat taco platters, but that doesn't translate online.

hmmm, so far i'm in the minority on this one. ah well!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 PM

How dare you like this one more than 'Skyline' Nate :wink:

I liked 'Monsters', but didn't love it. I didn't buy their romance. It just sort of happens somewhere in the middle of the movie and I found myself thinking, "Well, okay. I guess I believe they like each other."

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM

Loved this movie. One of the best of 2010, imo.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM

this is available for instant viewing on netflix for anyone that wants to kick the tires before buying. Ive been meaning to watch it but Im just worried it will be a let down.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Pretty much hated this one and thought it was one of the worst movies of 2010, the only thing worth while here from being such a low budget film was the cinematography, it had some really amazing shots and camera work and I think the director could be someone to look out for if given a bigger budget to work with.

Otherwise the film lacks about anything that would make a movie like this interesting to the people they are targeting, the relationship between the two was pretty bad, it had a few funny moments and some good dialog but overall I just didnt care and for all the acclaim that was slapped all over the cover about how amazing the FX were and all this other BS, what movie were they watching? 5 minutes total of actually seeing the Aliens and when some revelation shows up near the end of the film about them that had me intrigued, well we'll just cut the movie off and have no real ending...oh but wait you watched the beginning, sorry but this doesnt help the film out at all.

Besides these two trying to get across the border back to America, there is almost NOTHING happening in this movie at all, I just didnt care about anything, there was no real sense of danger, suspense, again nothing......in comparison to Skyline, I got my money's worth with that one, quick pace, great FX, cheesy acting and lots of action, Monsters, for being promoted and advertised the way it was, delivered NONE of that, to me its completely useless and definitely NOT worth watching again
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM

The director of Monsters is involved in the Godzilla feature they want to get off the ground.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 AM

I saw this movie a while ago, is impressive what they achieved with so little budged, makes you wonder how Hollywood spends 150 millions and they end giving you a product that is 150 million times inferior than this one.

However as much as I liked the movie, for me there was something missed, I dont know what it was, but there is something.