'Treme: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Default 'Treme: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Treme: The Complete First Season.' He says the makers of 'The Wire' have delivered one of the best series he has ever seen. This Blu-ray set features excellent video, demo audio, and mountains of extras. This is highly recommended! Check it out.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4448/treme_s1.html
Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 PM

I want to get this, but even more I want The Wire on blu. Come on HBO, I got me some Deadwood, how about some Blu Love for The Wire.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
I want to get this, but even more I want The Wire on blu. Come on HBO, I got me some Deadwood, how about some Blu Love for The Wire.
I don't believe The Wire ever aired in high def, did it? I'm pretty sure this is one of those situations where all of the show's post-production work was completed in standard definition, and the completed episodes only exist in that form.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I don't believe The Wire ever aired in high def, did it? I'm pretty sure this is one of those situations where all of the show's post-production work was completed in standard definition, and the completed episodes only exist in that form.
Yep; shot on 35mm but edited and post-produced on video.

The creator / producers also said a while back that they have no interest in remastering the series for blu-ray, and specifically chose to keep shooting the show in 1.33:1 during the later season (even when 16x9 HDTV became standard) because they didn't like the look of the show in widescreen or HD.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Yep; shot on 35mm but edited and post-produced on video.

The creator / producers also said a while back that they have no interest in remastering the series for blu-ray, and specifically chose to keep shooting the show in 1.33:1 during the later season (even when 16x9 HDTV became standard) because they didn't like the look of the show in widescreen or HD.
A similar thing happened with The Shield. Shawn Ryan wanted to keep that show looking as grubby and low-def as possible.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM

This is some bullshit. I just sold my Wire dvd set since I figured it would hit blu sometime soon. I fucked up there. They play the Wire on the direct tv channel in high def, but does not look that great. And it's in 16X9 which I knew was the wrong OAR.

Oh well, guess I will have to live with Treme and Generation Kill on blu.