How reliable are second-hand Blu-ray discs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 PM

Default How reliable are second-hand Blu-ray discs?

I stumbled upon some unbelievable deals in a second-hand store yesterday, with Blu-Ray discs ranging from $8 to $10!!! They had movies like the three Mission: Impossibles, The Prestige and Deja Vu, among quite a few others.

My question is this: with all the anti-scratch technology employed on these discs, would buying second-hand Blu-Rays be more reliable than second-hand DVDs?

With DVDs, there's always the chance that it could be scratched and damaged to the point that it's unplayable. Especially after viewing that stress test on YouTube a while back, I'm starting to think that Blu-Ray discs are indestructible. Is there anything that could possibly go wrong with them? Has anyone had any bad experiences with second-hand discs? They are, after all, less than $10 but it's still money and I'd rather not buy the discs at all than buy something that doesn't work properly.

And another thing, the boxes are all beat up. I'm not sure exactly how the previous owners of these discs watched them, but 70% of the discs sold there has boxes that were cracked, broken or in some cases completely flattened! I'll miss good looking boxes on my shelf (maybe I can find replacements somewhere..) but for this price, who am I to complain?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight View Post
My question is this: with all the anti-scratch technology employed on these discs, would buying second-hand Blu-Rays be more reliable than second-hand DVDs?

And another thing, the boxes are all beat up. I'm not sure exactly how the previous owners of these discs watched them, but 70% of the discs sold there has boxes that were cracked, broken or in some cases completely flattened! I'll miss good looking boxes on my shelf (maybe I can find replacements somewhere..) but for this price, who am I to complain?
Yes, you can trust used BDs a lot more than used DVDs. They're very hard
to scratch to the point that they won't play correctly.

As for the beat-up cases, I buy a lot of my BDs used and I hate the
torn/beat up cases too, so I replace the bad condition ones with these:

http://www.sleevetown.com/dvd-case.shtml
Old 07-10-2007, 01:57 AM

this will answer your question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ
Old 07-23-2007, 08:04 AM

I ended up getting a second-hand copy of Sleepy Hollow on Blu-Ray. I mean, for $8, it's a pretty decent movie to have an HD copy of. The disc wasn't scratched at all, so that was great. The box was a little beat up, but that's fine so everything seemed great until I put it in my PS3 and it made this loud clacking noise as it tried to boot it up! Eventually the PS3 gave up and stopped reading the disc.

..It turns out the disc is BENT! Of all the things I checked for, I'd never have anticipated that the disc would be bent. I've stacked tons of books on top of the disc for days and it still won't flatten out. Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

As far as I can tell, everything else about the disc is fine, it's just that it won't play because it's not flat. I checked on Yahoo and someone suggested placing it in the oven for a while but even though it only cost $8, I'm not ready to try that just yet...
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 AM

Most of my BR collection consists of used copies. Heck most of my game collection as well. Used items have saved me a ton of money, heck it probably allowed me to buy the PS3 so easily going used last gen.