'Paths of Glory' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2011, 03:10 PM

Default 'Paths of Glory' - High-Def Digest Review

We have reviewed the Criterion release of Stanley Kubrick's 'Paths of Glory.' This film offered an early, differing view on war. This Blu-ray features very strong video and audio, along with a nice assortment of extras. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3727/paths_glory.html
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM

:s ick01:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Kubrick is my favorite director, and this, tied with 2001, is my favorite film of all time. I snagged it when Barnes and Noble had a half-off Criterion sale.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Never heard of it, I'll give it a shot. This website sure does expand my horizons. A good WWI picture can be hard to watch, for how angry it makes me feel at the pointless reasons for the war and this story sounds like a great example of this.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM

I don't know what the review is talking about, Mireau is the only innocent one in the whole sordid affair.

This is an awesome movie. To me, it seems more a series of scenes than most movies in that each scene is substantial and could almost stand alone as a short film; that they combine so well is a pleasure to watch. I'm surprised it took so long for a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim69 View Post
A good WWI picture can be hard to watch, for how angry it makes me feel at the pointless reasons for the war and this story sounds like a great example of this.
Not only (or so much) the pointless reasons for war as the infrangible self-righteousness of most who wage it. Still good for making one angry.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 PM

I would appreciate some comment and comparison with the previous Criterion DVD release, and to whether the blu-ray version is still warranted. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braitman View Post
I would appreciate some comment and comparison with the previous Criterion DVD release, and to whether the blu-ray version is still warranted. Thank you.
Warranted?! Yeah, if you want it to look and sound better.