'Suspiria' (UK Import) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Default 'Suspiria' (UK Import) - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the UK Import of Dario Argento's 'Suspiria' has just been posted. E says this is a cult horror masterpiece from one of the best known names in the genre. This Blu-ray features fairly strong video, a very nice audio presentation, and a good package of extras. This is worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4171..._ukimport.html
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM

certainly worth a look IF you can play locked titles.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 AM

I've had this since day 1 when it first got released in the UK. Love it!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:35 AM

E,

Many thanks for the review (and the dedication). I agree pretty much with everything that you have said in there. This 's Achilles Heel will always be that contrast clipping which of course is present on the Eagle Pictures disc which is also taken from the same master. Cine Excess did promise more than they actually delivered on this one but the DTS-HD Master track that accompanies this disc is sublime and it will take a very good audio track indeed on a future release to better this.

All in all though, like yourself, I can live with the video flaws and the disc remains one of my faves. It remains a good showcase for Argento's 1977 psychedelic nightmare and the AQ is back to where it was on the theatrical release - jarring, disturbing, and playing its own very active part in the experience of Suspiria which sadly earlier home video presentations seemed to ignore...

Combine this AQ with a brand new master taken directly from the original negatives and we may well get a near as perfect presentation of Suspiria as is possible. In the meantime this will suffice quite comfortably. Like yourself, I dread the prospect of a remake and it would be something if this did not come to pass.