Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Landy is offline Go Jets Go!

balsho is offline Member

NICE! I hope its a fresh master.

Arkadin is offline Member

great news though this pic definitely shows its low budget origins with extreme darkness in several scenes.

Super-VHS is offline Member

This is a pleasant surprise. I love, love, love "American Graffiti".

I just hope the grittiness of the Techniscope process is left intact... but there's little hope of that. The current state of Universal + Lucas' involvement with the new PiP track almost ensure this will be a digitally tweaked version of the film that looks too artificial for its own good (i.e. the "Star Wars" SEs and the "THX-1138" DC).

well they already tweaked it once didn't they?
    with the sunset or sunrise being digitally altered.

Yes Ark, Lucas tweaked the opening in '98.

But I'm more concerned with what the transfer will be like... the use of DNR, EE and etc. "American Graffiti" is one hell of a grainy film and it should stay that way. I just kind of doubt that it will.

I'm not worried that Lucas is going to be adding AT-ATs, a creepy CG lounge singer or anything like that to "Graffiti". Just that Uni isn't particularly known for having great, film-like catalog transfers. In fact, they're known for just the opposite. And Lucas likes the slick digital look now too, which is why "THX" is so damned waxy on BD, so I figure he'll be fine with a decidedly "artificial" texture to the BD.

Hope I'm wrong though.
    "Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?"

yeah I think this about sums it up--
    http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/...le=feeling.wav

Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    yeah I think this about sums it up--
    http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/...le=feeling.wav
    Yeah, basically.

(Very funny by the way)

Donat96 is offline Member

Oh crap. Another George Lucas Special Edition.

iLuv3M3 is offline Member

I actually just got to see this the other day for the first time ever.
    Spoiler:
    I enjoyed it up until the "where are they now bit" and how John was killed by a Drunk Driver..with that, my jaw basically dropped and i felt a bit let down.

Then again though i guess it's sort of a life lesson within it, i really enjoyed his character being innocent and an all around good guy. Shame

greenman342 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
    I'm not worried that Lucas is going to be adding AT-ATs, a creepy CG lounge singer or anything like that to "Graffiti". Just that Uni isn't particularly known for having great, film-like catalog transfers. In fact, they're known for just the opposite. And Lucas likes the slick digital look now too, which is why "THX" is so damned waxy on BD, so I figure he'll be fine with a decidedly "artificial" texture to the BD.
    I suspect Lucas will be handling the master, if so it will look more like THX then BTTF. THX is somewhat scrubbed but not as over filtered as Universal catalog titles have been lately.

BTW the HD-DVD Universal catalog titles were a mixed bag, some looked great like 'The Sting' and some looked awful, like 'Cat People'.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
    BTW the HD-DVD Universal catalog titles were a mixed bag, some looked great like 'The Sting' and some looked awful, like 'Cat People'.
    "The Sting" really was a gorgeous film-like transfer. Never saw "Cat People" on HD, so I can't comment, but their track record was spotty back then so I believe it. Their BD track-record is even worse ("Apollo 13" looks like waxy fecal matter compared to the rather nice HD DVD) so I'm very hesitant as to "American Graffiti" on blu-ray. A shame because, as I said above, I love the film.

It seems like the only Universal BDs that look any good are of films released theatrically in the last 5-7 years. They've been terribly disappointing with most* anything else. Every poor transfer they release is made especially irritating if only for the fact that their "new" catalogs ("Hot Fuzz", "In Bruges", "Nanny McPhee") and their day-and-dates ("Scott Pilgrim") are often gorgeous.

* "Dune" and "The Breakfast Club" were decent though, so... there's hope?

ambientcafe is offline Member

Since the music soundtrack was such an integral part of the storytelling process & mood of the film, it is a little unfortunate that a remixed-to-5.1 audio track is not offered
    HDM S C O P E FANBOY-MAN

scorsese59 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post
    Since the music soundtrack was such an integral part of the storytelling process & mood of the film, it is a little unfortunate that a remixed-to-5.1 audio track is not offered
    Yeah, I was quite surprised by this as well. Almost every film released has some type of surround soundtrack included. Even movies much, much older which used more outdated technology have had 5.1 options. Also much of the time the original mix has been included too.

With this being a Lucas film I am perplexed as to why it was not upgraded. To my knowledge it has never been released with a 5.1 track and it would have been a nice upgrade. Oh well, I guess I will see what it sounds like when I have my receiver process it into surround. I wonít be as good but itís not like we have a say in the matter, especially with someone like George Lucas. LOL

ambientcafe is offline Member

Surprisingly, the dvd's Dolby Surround 2.0 track contains quite a bit of ambient information on the front & rear effects channels. The addition of a .1 LFE channel would've added a little more fullness to the music, as well as to engine noises, etc. A pity that Lucas dropped the ball on this aspect of this release, which remains my favorite Lucas film....I guess he's been too busy prepping the Star Wars films. In any case, let's keep our collective fingers crossed for a solid picture upgrade.
    HDM S C O P E FANBOY-MAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast