Prince of Persia:Sands of Time playback issue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Prince of Persia:Sands of Time playback issue

Just got done watching Prince of Persia:Sands of Time on my LG BD570, 5100B30 firmware and stumbled on a great annoyance, ALMOST as annoying as the Sunshine error on Sony players.

Every time the film starts a new chapter, playback freezes for a split second, an icon representing the chapter, a description of the chapter title and a time marker pop up on the screen for a few seconds. The film has 20 chapters - quite annoying!

I can't think of why, when the disc first starts it asks for a language, English, duh, (Not Descriptive English or any foreign language.) Under setup I made sure the default was DTS HD and subtitles are disabled. Then it was as simple as "Play Movie," there were no other choices. This glitch reminds me of the early dvd days when certain Toshiba players would default with an Angle Icon enabled but nowhere in the disc setup menu, popup menu or player's menu do I see anything resembling this issue
I also made sure BD Live is DISABLED just to make sure the player is not being instructed to access something each time a chapter switch occurs.

Anyone know where I can report this issue to Disney?[Edit] Just found the Disney Blu/dvd help center
I will report it to LG as well but neither company I'm sure will accept blame.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Are you playing it with 24fps? If so it is a player problem. LG is supposed to be working on a fix for the 24fps issue. Although from what I hear the old .211 firmware worked properly (I didn't roll back to 211 but since have stayed up to date on firmware), don't know what they did to break it but it has frustrated everyone.

It could be a Disney problem as this disc seem to have more issues than some of their other releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Just got done watching Prince of Persia:Sands of Time on my LG BD570, 5100B30 firmware and stumbled on a great annoyance, ALMOST as annoying as the Sunshine error on Sony players.

Every time the film starts a new chapter, playback freezes for a split second, an icon representing the chapter, a description of the chapter title and a time marker pop up on the screen for a few seconds. The film has 20 chapters - quite annoying!

I can't think of why, when the disc first starts it asks for a language, English, duh, (Not Descriptive English or any foreign language.) Under setup I made sure the default was DTS HD and subtitles are disabled. Then it was as simple as "Play Movie," there were no other choices. This glitch reminds me of the early dvd days when certain Toshiba players would default with an Angle Icon enabled but nowhere in the disc setup menu, popup menu or player's menu do I see anything resembling this issue
I also made sure BD Live is DISABLED just to make sure the player is not being instructed to access something each time a chapter switch occurs.

Anyone know where I can report this issue to Disney?[Edit] Just found the Disney Blu/dvd help center
I will report it to LG as well but neither company I'm sure will accept blame.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Are you playing it with 24fps? If so it is a player problem. LG is supposed to be working on a fix for the 24fps issue. Although from what I hear the old .211 firmware worked properly (I didn't roll back to 211 but since have stayed up to date on firmware), don't know what they did to break it but it has frustrated everyone.

It could be a Disney problem as this disc seem to have more issues than some of their other releases.

Where have you read about this disc having problems?
How does one get past level one support and on to someone that knows what is being said and responds without using a script, someone that can actually *do* something like send the issue to the programmers or something?
Yes I am using 24fps. Curiously though when I read about "issues of LG players" it was with Toy Story 3 and then supposedly they released a new firmware to fix this issue. The writer of the article I read said they ad a problem with Star Wars Ep2 dvd on layer change, the new firmware fixed TS3 but not the SW dvd. That was with a sync problem on TS3 right? The issue I describe is just too unbelievable but true.

I got the form response from Disney stating to unplug my player and clean the disc. I leave my entertainment system on a surge strip and everything is turned off when not in use and if the disc were dirty it would be a random glitch, not timed with what appears to be chapter changes.

I got the standard response from LG asking if I was running the latest firmware? When I send support an email I always send all pertinent info, including the firmware revision I am running (which is the newest one available on their site.)

The fact that this player does not play Lpcm audio from a memory stick annoys me, their response was to burn it on a disc as it supports it on a dvd disc. Gee thanks for making me notch up my buyer's remorse another step. What the hell's the difference on the source, lpcm=lpcm, right?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Replying back to my own topic - The Rock locks the player up HARD when the Menu screen is supposed to load. Only option is to UNPLUG the player. Tried it in my old Samsung BD1500 and seems to be ok.