'Sweet Smell of Success' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Default 'Sweet Smell of Success' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the Criterion Collection release of 'Sweet Smell of Success' has just been posted. David Krauss says this is a truly riveting film. Fim fans will want to eat this Blu-ray with a spoon as they savor the shimmering video, solid audio, hearty assortment of extras, and sumptuous packaging. This is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4359/sweet_success.html
Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 AM

Very pleased with the quality of the bonus features. The movie's no slouch, either. "The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river."
Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM

This is one of those movies that's always slipped out of my grasp. I suppose the finest way to view it for the first time in on Blu-ray, eh?

The special features look fantastic; nothing thrills me more than for additional content to focus on the craft and information behind the scenes rather than what we can plainly see with our own eyes.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM

I just watched this right now and it was very epic. Why didn't I recognize Lancaster? Sheesh. I should know better. I do like how his character was always shot like a giant. The cinematography is BRILLIANT!

Yes, lots of classic one-liners all around. The dialogue is as sharp as the devil himself.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I do like how his character was always shot like a giant.
I agree, even the references to him at the beginning--his eyes on the side of the news truck, and the truck itself--were shot from low angles giving his character a sense of authority and menace before he was even on screen.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM

'Sweet Smell of Success' comes attractively packaged in a three-sided slipcase with the film's original artwork on the cover.

I am not sure where the reviewer got the idea that the Blu cover was the original film art. It wasn't...at least not in the United States. Here is what the one-sheet and the 22x28 looked like: