'Uncle Buck' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Default 'Uncle Buck' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Uncle Buck' has just been posted. Nate says this is still a great family comedy. This Blu-ray features surprisingly good video, very weak audio (though I can still recall being thrown out of my fifth grade class for absent-mindedly humming the soundtrack to myself), and not a single extra! This is a fairly bad disc folks, but if you can find it cheap, really cheap, it may be worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4318/unclebuck.html
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM

I think I found a minor correction:

Quote:
Universal really didn't put much effort into this release. A BD50 with no extras, no high def audio, and good, but nowhere near great audio, this release is a peculiar dump.
Should read:

Quote:
Universal really didn't put much effort into this release. A BD50 with no extras, no high def audio, and good, but nowhere near great video, this release is a peculiar dump.
Good review, thanks Nate.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Great review. Love the "Final Thoughts" section.

I'm sick of mediocre releases like these. I love this movie. Huge John Candy fan. This is the best they can do? Average-to-crap VQ/AQ and ZERO supplements...ugh. I bought it b/c it was cheap a couple months back. Now I see I may as well've kept the HD dvr'd copy on my hard drive. I would've been just as well off. Ditto for "The River Wild," which I won't be buying. They think they can throw anything onto B-r and sell it. I guess I can't b*tch. I bought it, contributing to the problem.

I'm a features whore, so it's really disturbing to get nothing in that dept. The short features they added to the latest DVD version of "Plains, Trains" (Those Aren't Pillows Edition) aren't much, but they're a hell of a lot better than nothing.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM

To the reviewer regarding the families feelings toward Buck; The reason as to why Buck is on the outs with them is simple, look at them and the house they live in. Uptight upper middle class, borderline rich people who keep a questionably perfect house despite having 3 kids. Of course people like that have no room for people like Buck in their lives, their narrow view on the world and how it works couldn't include the likes of him. And most people, not just the rich get weird about their kids, I remember thinking most of my friends parents were nuts as a kid.

And in that regard it also makes sense that Buck is the better parent, especially when it comes to kids going through puberty, their sheltered parents didn't have the know how or will to take their kids by the arm and show them how the world is. Also the scene with Buck telling off the little girls principal remains my favorite scene all these years later, I still think of it when I see a huge mole on someones face lol. This was a true childhood staple of mine, it's not possible to count how many times I may have watched it back then.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM

'Bouncy' is putting the telecine wobble on this lightly. The red skin-tones also pissed me off.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 PM

It just pisses me off when I see studios putting garbage like this on the market. You would think blu-ray=quality, if nothing else than to advance high def with the masses. This really is a two-steps back mindset we're looking at here.

ez
Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Universal is consistently the worst with catalog titles on Blu-Ray. Someone needs to step in and take over their home video department and do something already. It is really embarrassing at this point.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM

great review nate! I'm very fond of the movie and was also disappointed by the video.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM

RIP John Candy!
I loved this movie. You brought me many laughs!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdriver View Post
It just pisses me off when I see studios putting garbage like this on the market. You would think blu-ray=quality, if nothing else than to advance high def with the masses. This really is a two-steps back mindset we're looking at here.
Not including lossless audio is sheer laziness, I agree. But if you honestly expect that marginal catologue titles like Uncle Buck are going to get new 4K scans and full Lowry-style restorations, you're in for a great many disappointments in the coming years.