Why no 3D version of Megamind? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Why no 3D version of Megamind?

Why is there no 3D version of Megamind coming out?!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM

It's a Samsung exclusive. When they start dishing it out, I am not sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Former Member

apparently all the complaints over people still not being able to buy monsters vs aliens, how to train your dragon, or any shrek film have gone unanswered due to the fact that payola speaks MUCH LOUDER than consumers.

Paramount's lone non-CE 3D disc is a store exclusive, and horrible, so yeah, more payola. considering they're DISCONTINUING more titles than they're releasing on Blu-ray, i'd not get your hopes up for ANY Paramount 3D titles any time soon.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Kain, dont be surprised if you dont see a Transformers 3 3D release as well. I can see this being a Samsung exclusive as well for the almighty holiday season. Course nothing confirmed yet but..you can almost see the writing on the wall of this being a reality.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Dreamworks Animation actually doesn't consider Blu-ray in general to be a significant part of their business, because their movies are targeted primarily toward families who are more likely to buy on DVD. Blu-ray 3D is a niche within a niche for them. They feel that they have nothing to lose by licensing these 3D titles to exclusive bundle packages, and very little to gain by releasing them wide.

I'm not saying I agree with this (I don't), but that's the reason Dreamworks is so lukewarm toward Blu-ray 3D. This isn't likely to change in the near future.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Former Member

that is all very true, and a very polite, concise, and less emotional way of saying they're fucking whores, which is my stance.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Dreamworks Animation actually doesn't consider Blu-ray in general to be a significant part of their business, because their movies are targeted primarily toward families who are more likely to buy on DVD. Blu-ray 3D is a niche within a niche for them. They feel that they have nothing to lose by licensing these 3D titles to exclusive bundle packages, and very little to gain by releasing them wide.

I'm not saying I agree with this (I don't), but that's the reason Dreamworks is so lukewarm toward Blu-ray 3D. This isn't likely to change in the near future.
Basically, they think 3D in the home is a dead horse, in other words.

Because honestly, I see silly children as the biggest potential customers for 3D. When I was 6, I thought Captain Eo in 3D was the coolest thing ever. I think I saw it 14 times in one weekend. If Dreamworks thinks they can't sell their movies on 3D BD, I guess they figure it's theater only.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
Basically, they think 3D in the home is a dead horse, in other words.
They think that the primary consumers for their product are much more likely to watch a DVD in a car than play a Blu-ray (much less a 3D Blu-ray) in a home theater.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
They think that the primary consumers for their product are much more likely to watch a DVD in a car than play a Blu-ray (much less a 3D Blu-ray) in a home theater.
True, true. They also think they will make more money from Samsung than from all of the current 3D Blu-ray customers out there.

And, it's important to note that, despite the fact that Paramount "distributes" DreamWorks Animation, the exclusivity deals here are made by DreamWorks, not Paramount.

Also, another important little factoid, DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks SKG (the live action department) are two separate companies.

DreamWorks Animation only releases movies (distributes) thru Paramount, which means Paramount pays some marketing and takes a percentage fee (10-12%, give or take) of the box office as its payment. It doesn't own any of the DreamWorks Animation films.

DreamWorks SKG, which just released its first post-Paramount film I AM NUMBER FOUR, is now based over at Disney (Disney handles distribution, and a foreign financier is funding development and production). Though I'm not sure what this means in terms of DreamWorks SKG catalog titles and whether or not they'll stay with Paramount Home Entertainment -- obviously, 'Co-Productions' such as TRANSFORMERS or WAR OF THE WORLDS will remain under PHE.