'Michael Jordan to the Max' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Default 'Michael Jordan to the Max' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck just happened to review the Blu-ray of 'Michael Jordan to the Max' on Jordan's birthday yesterday. He says this is an awesome IMAX film. This Blu-ray features exceptional video, powerful audio, and a few extras. This is recommended, and a must own for basketball fans.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4470/jordan_max.html
Old 02-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Mike, in case you see this before my email, this thread should be linked to and titled after 'Michael Jordan to the Max.' Just got a little switcheroo going on here with the 'Ultimate Jordan' collection I reviewed a couple days ago.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 02-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Mike, in case you see this before my email, this thread should be linked to and titled after 'Michael Jordan to the Max.' Just got a little switcheroo going on here with the 'Ultimate Jordan' collection I reviewed a couple days ago.
Ummm....whoops! Brain short circuited on me. Obviously ready for the weekend. Think it's all fixed now!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM

I wish this were available for rental locally to me, I would give it a shot. I'm reluctant to buy since I'm hardly a basketball fan, but MJ was a master at his art, I'm sure this is impressive to watch.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Good to see this got a much better video grade than the Ultimate Jordan set. Granted, the source material for those "straight-to-vhs" specials from the late 80's probably lost their battle with the test of time, but nevertheless, it's refreshing to see Jordan get an worthy Blu release. One question, how does it hold-up to the original DVD? Even though this is the most recent Jordan doc, it's still well over 10 years old.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtower41 View Post
Good to see this got a much better video grade than the Ultimate Jordan set. Granted, the source material for those "straight-to-vhs" specials from the late 80's probably lost their battle with the test of time, but nevertheless, it's refreshing to see Jordan get an worthy Blu release. One question, how does it hold-up to the original DVD? Even though this is the most recent Jordan doc, it's still well over 10 years old.
Are you talking visually? If you are it's no contest. With a 35mm/IMAX source this looks fantastic on Blu-ray. It's head and shoulders above the previous DVD release. I would say this is a must own for basketball fans, because as far as I know this is the only place you'll be able to get 35mm footage of Jordan playing. I'm not sure there's any other in game footage out there of Jordan that comes from a 35mm source. It's pretty amazing if you think about it. This is the most detailed look you'll ever get. Most of the in-game footage looks like it was filmed yesterday.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Are you talking visually? If you are it's no contest. With a 35mm/IMAX source this looks fantastic on Blu-ray. It's head and shoulders above the previous DVD release. I would say this is a must own for basketball fans, because as far as I know this is the only place you'll be able to get 35mm footage of Jordan playing. I'm not sure there's any other in game footage out there of Jordan that comes from a 35mm source. It's pretty amazing if you think about it. This is the most detailed look you'll ever get. Most of the in-game footage looks like it was filmed yesterday.
That's all I needed to hear to be sold on this one...
Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM

Well I finally signed up here at High-Def Digest over Aaron's review of this and Ultimate Jordan. #1 thanks for the great reviews guys, I look forward to reading the reviews here. First off, Ultimate Jordan is rated way higher than this one at the MRQE. Id post links but I guess I have to have 15 posts before I can do that. Yet Aaron recommends Ultimate Jordan for fans only. Why is this? I wonder if I should just pick up an sd dvd of Ultimate Jordan, Michael Jordan to the Max is only $14.99 at Amazon so that one is easy.

thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestech View Post
Well I finally signed up here at High-Def Digest over Aaron's review of this and Ultimate Jordan. #1 thanks for the great reviews guys, I look forward to reading the reviews here. First off, Ultimate Jordan is rated way higher than this one at the MRQE. Id post links but I guess I have to have 15 posts before I can do that. Yet Aaron recommends Ultimate Jordan for fans only. Why is this? I wonder if I should just pick up an sd dvd of Ultimate Jordan, Michael Jordan to the Max is only $14.99 at Amazon so that one is easy.

thanks
To me the 'Ultimate Jordan' set is has a lot more in-depth basketball knowledge not to mention full games included. Casual viewers aren't going to want to watch an entire NBA game again. However, 'Jordan to the Max' is a movie that everyone can relate to even if they are just a casual fan of the sport or just know who Michael Jordan is. 'Ultimate Jordan' is built more for basketball fans while 'Jordan to the Max' is put together better for a mass audience.

Hope that answers your question. I'm glad that my review helped you sign up for the site. Hope you like it here and I look forward to seeing you around.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 AM

Absolutely hate basketball, but this review makes it a MUST rent. Even just for the LFE alone!