'Broadcast News' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Default 'Broadcast News' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed the fantastic Criterion Collection release of 'Broadcast News.' This is a great romantic dramedy, with some of the most quotable lines you could hope for. This Blu-ray features exceptional video, crystal clear audio, and some terrific extras. This one is definitely recommended!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4222/broadcastnews.html
Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm looking forward to this disc.

But I'm curious as to why no one seems to point out that Broadcast News is really The Mary Tyler Moore show on film. Single woman wanting to be a producer; "stupid" anchorman; and the writer who is in love with the lead. Kudos for creating a nice film, but one should be dinged for lack of originality or a glaring repeat of previously successful work.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Next to musicals, the romantic comedy is my least favorite genre, but there are always exceptions to the rule and Broadcast News is one of my most favorite exceptions. Featuring great performances from its three leads (Hurt, Hunter and Brooks), along with great dialog and humor throughout to compliment some of the more touching scenes, greatly look forward to watching this one many more times down the road.

On a sidenote, it's the first time I have seen this movie and couldn't help but think of the Incredibles and Elastigirl when Holly Hunter first enters the picture and begins to talk. Just has such a unique and unmistakable voice.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 PM

This is a great movie, but I have to admit that I find the movie more depressing than funny. lol.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=Attebery;2126981] This Blu-ray features exceptional video...

Hey, sorry to disagree with you guys on this one, but I just got the Blu-ray, and the video quality doesn't much impress me. I guess it just might be the nature of the film and the film stock of the '80s, but the movie looks super grainy—in a noticeable, annoying way. I had actually TiVo'd it last week from HBO HD just in case the Blu-ray didn't get here in time (I'm having people over to watch it). And I think the Blu-ray picture quality may only be slightly better than the HBO HD version.

On the other hand, the good news may just be that HBO is airing this Criterion Blu-ray version instead of some cheap, HD transfer?

Anyway, I say this one is better left to rent (if you can find the Blu-ray for rental), not own.