'You've Got Mail' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Default 'You've Got Mail' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed Nora Ephron's 'You've Got Mail.' This film is a failed attempt to capture the magic of 'Sleepless in Seattle (seriously, why do we get 'You've Got Mail' on Blu-ray before we get 'Sleepless' and the Ephron-penned 'When Harry Met Sally?') Interestingly, in a 2010 appearance in Seattle, Ephron admitted that she now hates e-mail Coincidence? Anyway, this Blu-ray is a middling affair, with fairly average video and audio. The supplements are rather extensive, with the best bonus feature being the inclusion of
a DVD with the original 'Shop Around the Corner.' For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4146/ygm.html
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM

That's a full star better than King Kong, but c'mon. "Lost in Translation" got 5 stars. 5! The Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks connection is always so sweet and innocent. It sure beats the goofy Scarlett Johansson/Bill Murray connection, eck.

I still say this site needs female reviewers.

Mark
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicelect View Post
That's a full star better than King Kong, but c'mon. "Lost in Translation" got 5 stars. 5! The Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks connection is always so sweet and innocent. It sure beats the goofy Scarlett Johansson/Bill Murray connection, eck.

I still say this site needs female reviewers.

Mark
I don't see how that would really affect the most important part of the review, the technical aspects.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM

I REALLY want to see this.
Never saw it
Hated Lost in Translation but I HATE Meg Ryan.
BUt I have been in a mood for a sappy love story LOL

Where's my Boston MA Christian Bale buddy on here to convince to stay away from this? LOL

Cmon bro where are you? Tell me I need to toughen up, since i'm in law school haha
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I don't see how that would really affect the most important part of the review, the technical aspects.
i don't see how it's at all relevant at all. double standard at play here, because one person disagrees with numerous reviewers. so it needs to be lower than king kong, but high enough that women should not feel slighted? it also needs to be scored higher than a film that is miles and miles superior to this conventional pile of predictable, because it's a rom com rather than a real adult drama?

what this site needs is people to realize that:1- there is more than 1 person on staff. 2- that the views and opinions of a reviewer are exactly that, and don't reflect upon an entire staff, good or bad. 3- that the reviewer is entitled to his opinion without having completely unrelated works in completely unrelated genres by completely unrelated reviewers being thrown in as some kind of rationalization.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM

I really enjoy this movie, but can understand somebody not. Definitely a 3.5/5 to me, and one that I'm happy to watch when I'm flipping through the channels. Of course I also excitedly turned on my computer and hope for the words "You've Got Mail" to pop up from my computer all those many years ago, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Wife loves this movie with a passion. It's one of those movies she can watch over and over. Turned out to be the perfect V-day gift.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 AM

I'm kind of a sucker for rom-coms, and I liked this quite a bit. I thought it had a different tone from Sleepless in Seattle, and while I haven't seen that film in a while, I can say that I liked each one on its own, but find this one more easily accessible for multiple viewings.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:00 AM

Don't know how many of you have seen any of the earlier versions of this film ('The Shop Around the Corner' and 'In the Good Old Summertime'). If you have, I think it can't help but influence your take on this film. It's just been done better before.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 AM

From the review:
Quote:
The best extra on the disc is without a doubt the bonus DVD of the 1940 classic, 'The Shop Around the Corner,' the film upon which 'You've Got Mail' is based.
Best extra on the DISC is a DVD? So is it a standard def movie on the BD, or is it a second disc altogether?