'Wild Things' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-08-2007, 11:37 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Wild Things' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's review of 'Wild Things.' He says this Blu-ray release of the trash classic is a fairly straightforward affair -- a nice enough transfer and soundtrack, but not a single supplement.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/wildthings.html
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 AM

He seems to praise the movie alot in his review but the scores don't reflect it. I have this one pre-ordered with TFE and eagerly await its arival. This is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Though I always did like the crazy dark horse girls and Neve Campbell plays this part to perfection.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 AM

I could never really get into the movie -- like one surprise ending isn't enough!

But I'll give another shot on Tuesday.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
He seems to praise the movie alot in his review but the scores don't reflect it. I have this one pre-ordered with TFE and eagerly await its arival. This is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Though I always did like the crazy dark horse girls and Neve Campbell plays this part to perfection.
I was a little confused by Peter's scores and what he says about the movie as well. Might pick this up. It was a decent flick,imho, and Richards and Campbell are two of my guilty pleasures in this film.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm buying this film for one scene and one scene only.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecyc2 View Post
I'm buying this film for one scene and one scene only.
I bet I will end up buying this flick for the same scene I think you are referring to.lol...jk(well... maybe not).
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Gutted this isn't a "Region Free" release - I want to triple dip on this but being a Sony release I am guessing it will be region locked to US only

UK lose out again
Old 07-09-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Of course, few are probably watching 'Wild Things' for anything but prurient interest, and on that level the Unrated version of the film included in this Blu-ray edition more than delivers.
True. True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Adding seven minutes of additional smutty footage, even more jaded viewers are likely to raise an eyebrow at the various sexual contortions included in this cut.
"Smutty footage"?!?!!!? Please be more specific! Are these scenes that include both Nev and Denise? 7 additional minutes!?!?!!! That is pimp!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM

If Peter thinks that the lack of the original commentary track from the standard DVD is a "bummer", then either he has never listened to that commentary or he just forgot how incredibly bad it was. I've listened to hundreds of commentaries since the early days of Laserdisc, and the Wild Things DVD commentary is easily on my Top 10 Worst Ever list. If I remember correctly (and, believe me, I've tried my best to forget), there were at least 8 participants who were almost impossible to identify as they spoke, and what they had to say was about as interesting as talking about the weather which, by the way, was the PRIMARY topic of conversation - how hot it was during filming. Other than that they just talked to each other about the most banal things, rarely addressing what was on the screen and, even when they did, provided nothing of interest. So, lack of a commentary on this Blu-ray is, in this case, a PLUS rather than a negative.

Last edited by JayAuritt; 07-10-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
Gutted this isn't a "Region Free" release - I want to triple dip on this but being a Sony release I am guessing it will be region locked to US only

UK lose out again
Err, no. Sony catalogue titles have all been region free. I've got a fair few of them.