'Never Let Me Go' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Default 'Never Let Me Go' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Never Let Me Go' has just been posted. Aaron Peck says this is one of the best films of 2010. Why this has been overlooked for awards is a total mystery. This Blu-ray features incredible video, powerful audio, and a few extras. This film is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4415/neverletmego.html
Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Great review! This truly is one of the best films to come out in 2010. I liked the movie so much that I immediately downloaded the novel on my Kindle, as soon as the movie was over.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
Great review! This truly is one of the best films to come out in 2010. I liked the movie so much that I immediately downloaded the novel on my Kindle, as soon as the movie was over.
Thank you. Yeah, now I need to sit down and read the novel.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah, the only true shame about "Never Let Me Go", is that it is impossible to discuss it without mentioning what exactly makes it a sci-fi film. The movie would have been even more emotionally jarring, for me, if I didn't know what the "hook" to the film was, going in. Of course, the hook to the film is stated right on the back of the box...and it's hinted at during the opening scenes...but I just feel the movie would have packed an even huger emotional punch if the viewer didn't find out about the characters' predicament until the exact moment that the characters find out about it themselves.

Just a minor nitpick of course, because the movie is perfectly fine as is.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Second to Blue Valentine this has been the 2010 film I am most interested to see.

Out of curiosity, just how far is it in the movie that they do learn of their situation? I was under the impression it was fairly early, and that it wasn't really a surprise to the characters so much as something they had essentially been raised to accept without it being spoken outright. This aspect--that this is the way things are--is actually one thing that appealed to me: that it's not presented as from our point of view, but from the point of view of one within the society on display; that is, the drama is not produced so much by the disparity between the real world and the movie world as by the movie world and the potential within that world.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
Yeah, the only true shame about "Never Let Me Go", is that it is impossible to discuss it without mentioning what exactly makes it a sci-fi film. The movie would have been even more emotionally jarring, for me, if I didn't know what the "hook" to the film was, going in. Of course, the hook to the film is stated right on the back of the box...and it's hinted at during the opening scenes...but I just feel the movie would have packed an even huger emotional punch if the viewer didn't find out about the characters' predicament until the exact moment that the characters find out about it themselves.

Just a minor nitpick of course, because the movie is perfectly fine as is.
IMO I never looked at it as a secret or spoilerish type thing. Throughout the movie I thought it was imperative that you knew who exactly these people were. I liked that the movie isn't obsessed with keeping everything a secret to shock the audience. I like that you know exactly what they're going through, and know that these people are like second class citizens. They're not even thought of as people. It makes you sympathize with them. I think that if it were kept a secret to the last possible moment then I wouldn't have sympathized with the characters as much as I did. Without knowing who or what they are, then on the surface they're just slightly depressed youngsters. That's just my opinion though.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevirus View Post
Second to Blue Valentine this has been the 2010 film I am most interested to see.

Out of curiosity, just how far is it in the movie that they do learn of their situation? I was under the impression it was fairly early, and that it wasn't really a surprise to the characters so much as something they had essentially been raised to accept without it being spoken outright. This aspect--that this is the way things are--is actually one thing that appealed to me: that it's not presented as from our point of view, but from the point of view of one within the society on display; that is, the drama is not produced so much by the disparity between the real world and the movie world as by the movie world and the potential within that world.
I'd say that it's slowly revealed through conversations with a teacher at school, and voice over narration within about the first 10 or 15 minutes. Like I said, I don't think it's spoilerish to know what's going on with these people going in because it isn't about that. It's about how they live knowing full well what their purpose is.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
I'd say that it's slowly revealed through conversations with a teacher at school, and voice over narration within about the first 10 or 15 minutes.
That is what I was expecting, and that appealed to me: drama within the context of the film rather than within the context of the film world/real world dichotomy.

Thanks for the response.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevirus View Post
That is what I was expecting, and that appealed to me: drama within the context of the film rather than within the context of the film world/real world dichotomy.

Thanks for the response.
No problem. I hope you enjoy the movie when you end up watching it.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Such a sleeper hit. Probably one of my best blind buys in quite some time.