What is the point in not releasing TV series in a seasonal order? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 AM

Default What is the point in not releasing TV series in a seasonal order?

I just can't understand why they don't always start with releasing Season 1 of a TV series. I assume that people that buy TV series on Blu-ray, either really like the series and want to own it, or buy it to see episodes they missed. In either case it would make more sense to begin with Season 1.

Why release a late Season that was recently aired on TV, collectors are not going to want to start halfway through a series. And those that want to see episodes they missed, have more likely not seen ones from the beginning of the series.

Well atleast they got it right with Weeds.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM

I personally don't mind them releasing the seasons that were just shown on TV instead of starting from the beginning, because if you like a show so much, you will already have the earlier seasons on DVD, and are willing to wait for the eventual re-release on Blu-ray down the line.

I personally am referring to Smallville, the only show i collect (as it's the best! lol). I have seasons 1-5 on DVD and im very happy that I can buy season 6 straight onto Blu-ray, instead of buying it on DVD then having to rebuy later on. I will gladly continue to enjoy the DVDs until these earlier seasons are announced, if ever!

If they ignored the recent seasons of shows still on TV, and released the old ones first, then consumers would have to buy the current season on DVD, knowing full well they'l have to re-buy on Blu later on! Why not buy in Blu straight away?

I think what you're asking would mean them holding back the current seasons til the old ones had been caught up, and that loses the edge the companies like to use, of releasing the last season right before the new one airs on TV (so people can play catch-up)

I hope I make sense...
Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM

Well for me personally I have a hard time watching SD anymore. But how about if they released both the latest and the first season at the same time, now that would cover all bases

Anyway I don't watch series that often on TV (due to commercials, inconvenient hours, crappy quality etc..), I rather wait for them to get on DVD or Blu-ray. Therefore I would always want to begin with the first season.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Haha! Now that would be ALOT better if they released the current season along with at least 1 past season... good thinking there bud If only they'd actually do that!