'Raging Bull: 30th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM

Default 'Raging Bull: 30th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has turned in a knockout review for 'Raging Bull: 30th Anniversary Edition.' He's clearly a big fan, and says this Blu-ray presents the film with exceptional video and audio, and the assortment of extras is extensive to say the least. This is a must own, BUT if you own the previous edition, read this review carefully before deciding if you want to double dip.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4285...bull_30th.html
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM

"thankfully lacking that high-gloss, shadowy, studio look contemporary directors often employ when making black-and-white movies"

Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM

never got to see this before, been wanting to. just have to ask, is this boxing movie similar to Rocky? hopefully this isn't looked at as a stupid question lol.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuv3M3 View Post
is this boxing movie similar to Rocky?
It's similar in that they're both about boxers. Otherwise, pretty much no.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 PM

a towering review. pretty much sums up all of the thoughts i've had about one of my Top 10 favorite films, especially these two lines:

Quote:
From the opening title sequence - slow-motion, long-shot footage of a sparring De Niro with classical music underscoring - Scorsese sets the tone. This is a grand story, operatic in scope and structure, one of majesty and tragedy.
Quote:
And in a stroke of genius, he uses color film stock just once during a brief home-movie sequence to heighten the humanity of his characters and remind us they are, in fact, real people.
those two sets of quotes perfectly describe my two favorite scenes of the film, the ones that give me the MOST goosebumps, with the former being my favorite "establishing scene/shot" in the history of cinema.

bravo Dave, the wait for the review was most certainly worth it.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuv3M3 View Post
never got to see this before, been wanting to. just have to ask, is this boxing movie similar to Rocky? hopefully this isn't looked at as a stupid question lol.
They both are a very personal look into the life and sacrifices of a boxer, but they end up in different directions. Whereas Rocky is an uplifting rags-to-riches story, Raging Bull is sort of a character's fall from grace, and features Scorsese's usual exploration of the darker elements of human nature. I think Rocky was PG rated, whereas Raging Bull definitely earns its R-rating. Some scenes are a bit intense and maybe shocking for some viewers.

It was not a bad question at all. Hopefully you can catch it soon and let us know what you think. Always interested to hear first impressions of these older films.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM

MUST OWN is correct! I LOVE this film.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Definitely looking forward to it. I will purchase it as soon as I can. I can't believe what I have been missing for so many years. I really like Scorcese, his style and attention to detail just pop out of the screen in every film I hace seen from him. The review was fantastic, GREAT work David, you completely sold the movie to me.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 PM

If you really like Scorsese, run, don't walk- this is his greatest film.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Comes out in the UK next month and can't wait to watch it on blu-ray, I've only got a 1 disc DVD in a Scorsese boxset so looking forward to the special features too.

Now, where's that Taxi Driver release?