'Les Miserables: The 25th Anniversary Concert' is coming February 22 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Default 'Les Miserables: The 25th Anniversary Concert' is coming February 22

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4560...bles_25th.html
Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM

For a minute there, I was excited to purchase this. Then I saw this is the run with Nick Jonas and my enthusiasm suddenly dropped.

I've read that he actually does a pretty good job, but I'm still not very excited to see a tween rockstar do Broadway. Guess, we'll have to wait and see.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Yeah, it's definitely misleading, the way they put "25th anniversary" in there. The Jonas brothers weren't even sperm 25 years ago.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Nick Jonas actually started on Broadway when he was 7 years old and was in many plays (including Les Miserables) before becoming a tween sensation.

Les Mis is by far my favorite play and I will definitely check this out.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Seen around the world? I guess I missed the show. What network was it on? (just curious).

One thing is not clear from this article. Is this a real performance of Les Mis scene by scene or just a special concert style presentation such as the superb 10th anniversary concert (shot in HD but only shown in SD by PBS in North America). If the former I'd definitely be interested. As tranparentl has also said, this is my favourite musical too. It's music is strong and masculine to a degree that no other musical can match. The closest is Miss Saigon but it doesn't have the depth of emotion and power of Les Mis.

To those who are critical of the lead singer: I know that to those of us who saw or heard Les Mis during its initial runs Mr. Colm Wilkinson is and always will be Jean Valjean. However over the years many other musicals have changed their leads successfully. Valjean has been sung by many different kinds of singers as the special finale of the 10th anniversary concert clearly demonstrated when 19 (?) different Valjeans from the different countries' productions of the play were assembled to sing together. It was quite clear that there was a huge difference in tone and style between the singer from the US and his Tokyo counterpart for example. Each had his interpretation of the songs. Neither was better or worse than the others. Same applies to Mr. Jonas. Don't dismiss him just because he's not Mr. Wilkinson.

Let's hope that this BD is worthy of its subject.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 PM

I'm not really dismissing him so soon, and I know he's been performing since he was young. In fact, I don't have any issues with him at all. I just wonder if his performance can or will overcome the other persona he's created for himself with his brothers.

I'm a huge fan of the musical. I own the music on vinyl, CD and on VHS. I'll definitely be checking this out when it releases.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 AM

I (think I) bought the UK version of this for my mother, who is a big Les Mis fan. It's a recording of a concert version of the play (so, not the play itself, just the songs from it, if that makes sense) performed at the O2 arena in London and also streamed to various cinemas around the country.

@reidw, Jean Valjean is played by Alfie Boe, who is a fine, classically-trained Welsh singer. Nick Jonas plays Marius, and unfortunately he's just not in the same vocal league. You may be pleased to know that Colm Wilkinson does make a singing appearance.

Anyway, if you're a fan of Les Mis, I'd certainly recommend it.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 AM

I caught some of this show when we had the satellite presentation at my theater. The sound should be amazing for this event and runs much like the 10th Anniversary show. Jonas just doesn't have that range for the role, but thankfully at the end we get some encore performances from most of the cast from the 10th Anniversary concert. So this is an easy buy for me when it comes out, Plus you can check out some of the performance on YouTube from some ok to pretty good cell phone footage.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Just for clarity. And for the fans.
This is already available in the UK. It's all regions.
It's a concert version with a HUGE cast made up of many members of previous productions. Alfie Boe is terrific, and the baby Jonas does a pretty good job. He did do it for a couple of months in the West End and let's face it Marius is the ingénue. Don't worry. He's supposed to be young. That's why he behaves like he does!
Only one member of the principal cast is an ex-cast member, btw. He's Matt Lucas (Thenardier) and fans of Little Britain will be excited to see him do a damn fine job. He has a history of musicals, Taboo being his biggest London success.