Weinstein going neutral (Sort of) - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Default Weinstein going neutral (Sort of)

Hey everyone, just a words up I got today. I recently suggested that they release Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair on blu-ray and HD DVD as a way to combat Buena Vista's releases. It looks like that's what they just might do, not a final thing, but they are considering this for a Blu-ray release as well now. They did mention this would be the only title they would release on Blu-ray this year if it does indeed ever make it to release.

This could good things for neutrality later on.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM
formerly "SpazMedicine"

I don't know if this would ever happen, but if it did, it would obviously be a test. If they released it on Blu-ray and it sold well, there is no way they wouldn't start releasing their other stuff on the format. It would not make sense not to.

Obviously, it's all speculation at this point though.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Yes, we will have to wait and see what happens, they have to test sales and why not with such a great title.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

I would like to lock this thread though, I probably spoke too soon, and will make a new thread when I get more information on this, as many are calling this bogus.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 PM
formerly "SpazMedicine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJohnson View Post
Yes, we will have to wait and see what happens, they have to test sales and why not with such a great title.
I totally agree. And because of Disney, this would be a very smart move.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

But this is just very early development, so we will have to wait and see what happens. Just thought I would share they did have a short meeting about this today.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJohnson View Post
Hey everyone, just a words up I got today. I recently suggested that they release Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair on blu-ray and HD DVD as a way to combat Buena Vista's releases. It looks like that's what they just might do, not a final thing, but they are considering this for a Blu-ray release as well now. They did mention this would be the only title they would release on Blu-ray this year if it does indeed ever make it to release.

This could good things for neutrality later on.
I was under the impression that Kill Bill's home video distro. rights were owned by Miramax - which is a subsidiary of Disney (who also owns Buena Vista). So even though it was made under the tutelage of the Weinstein Bros., Miramax retains the rights to the Kill Bill films. So it would still be BD exclusive, afaik.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
formerly "SpazMedicine"

Apparently, as Spartan has explained to many people (myself included) in several forums, Miramax owns the individual Kill Bill DVDs. Weinsteins, however, own the rights to THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:07 PM

Spartan, I would reevaluate your source since credible information has come to my attention that what you reported is not accurate.

Based on this I have made the decision to close this thread since it appears to be spreading controversial information which at this point does not appear to be founded in reality. In the future, when reporting something as high profile as this, you will need to provide more than just your say so.
Closed Thread