Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series

Nate has reviewed 'Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series' He says this is a great season, even if there are a few duds in the mix. This Blu-ray features fantastic video, annoying audio, and tons of extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4512...o_season5.html
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM

Nits:

Quote:
called the fifth series (as Tennant had four seasons, in a sense, and those crazy Brits call years of these shows series)
Tennant had three series. Plus a handful of specials (which were officially considered part of Series 4). Since the show came back in 2005, there's been three Doctors (Chris Eccleston, one series, 2005), David Tennant (three full series + specials - 2006, 2007, 2008, and the specials in 2009), and Matt Smith (one full so far, new episode on Saturday).

Although one could make the point if you're playing series counts, that what is referred to as "Series 5", is really Series 31.

Quote:
'The Eleventh Hour,' the debut episode, is handled wonderfully, with tons of prolonged moments helping establish our new Doctor as he readjusts to his environment, and his instant chemistry with Amelia/Amy Pond, which plays like a wonderful fairy tale, of sorts, which The Doctor most certainly is akin to. The villain is somewhat lame, and the drama not so dramatic, but the highlight is the way characters are introduced, making them instantly empathetic and enjoyable.
The whole point of that episode was to introduce a new Doctor and a companion. The "villian" was totally secondary. The first episode of the Ninth Doctor ("Rose") had EXACTLY the same mix. The villian of that piece was THERE, but it was almost irrelevant. Was only there because you had to have something there.

Quote:
The only episode that comes close to the effectiveness of the Angels stories is found in the eighth episode this go-round, as 'Vincent and the Doctor' has Amy and The Doctor going back in time to help the greatest painter ever to live, Vincent van Gogh.
This was my favorite of the series, and not because of the story in general, but because of the finale. Once the (another disposable) villain of the piece was vanquished, it became brilliant. I won't ruin it, but the last 10 minutes or so were some of the best Doctor Who I've ever seen, and I've been watching the show with a zeal since around 1983. The first 35 minutes of Vincent & The Doctor was a pretty standard chase the monster story, really. I loved Bill Nighy there, as he was also one of the runners up for the Ninth Doctor casting.

Quote:
The Doctor has never, ever looked this good, though to be fair, he was always filmed in SD until the most recent batch of specials, the last of Tennant's time in the role, making the jump after the first Christmas Special in the set.
Also, Doctor Who is a recent convert to High Def. The David Tennant "Complete Specials" box is the first stories in HD. In fact, the first one on that box (The Next Doctor) was the last story to be shot in SD. It was upconverted to HD for this box. The other stories (Planet of the Dead, Waters of Mars, End of Time Pts 1 & 2) were shot in HD. So it won't look as good if you start going into the past (although the modern show SD discs are pretty good for SD sources).

One thing that bugged me was those "in vision" commentaries. Why do I want to watch them sit there and talk? That's a pointless "feature". The audio alone is enough, and that space could have been used for other stuff - like more commentaries!

"I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool!"
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Former Member

yeah, i did some reading up on the specials when i reviewed them, on when they made the change. it was a transition release, of sorts, like south park's first season blu-ray release.

i am 100% in agreement, the last 10 or so minutes of the Van Gogh episode are just epic. i didn't know Nighy was up for the role, that WOULD have been fantastic, though. i did get something big and heavy in my throat in that episode's closing minutes. it was absolutely amazing, and i am glad the show didn't do another episode like it, to help keep it unique, just like how Futurama made even grown men cry with their take on Hachiko.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 AM

Like briefly mentioned in the review, IMHO, the only good episode since the BBC restarted the programmes after years in limbo was Blink. Everything else has just been children running around in a playground playing silly games.

Matt Smith ? They really are getting younger (looking) every time. I predict that the next Doctor will be even younger and be very carefully crafted to appeal to the teen girl demographic even more. Such a shame that what was once quite a solid science fiction format has become such a pathetic eco-warrior hippy love fest.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 AM

"and those crazy Brits call years of these shows series"

A series is the same as a season. We also have a one off's, or a mini series which may consist of two or three episodes. We may have more than one series in a year but mostly 1 series a year.

Its not really crazy using the word series in the way in which we do since the word "series" is defined as a number of objects or events arranged or coming one after the other in succession. Some incorrectly use the word series to describe a programme rather than a particular season but confuse matters when doing so. I guess you could call that crazy but even then a number of "seasons" could still be called a series in the strictest meaning of the word.

"English" You've got to love it in all its complexity!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
plus the fact that more than a few episodes have literally been lost to time
The BBC likes to use the word "lost". Most other people use the correct term, deliberately destroyed.

Video tapes were reused to save money, 16mmm film prints (for overseas sales) were literally chucked in a skip.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Nits:

This was my favorite of the series, and not because of the story in general, but because of the finale. Once the (another disposable) villain of the piece was vanquished, it became brilliant. I won't ruin it, but the last 10 minutes or so were some of the best Doctor Who I've ever seen, and I've been watching the show with a zeal since around 1983. The first 35 minutes of Vincent & The Doctor was a pretty standard chase the monster story, really. I loved Bill Nighy there, as he was also one of the runners up for the Ninth Doctor casting.
I'm always staggered when I read that the dreadful Vincent Van Gogh episode was considered a favourite. I'll give it marks for being "different" (ie non-Who) but really... clearly Richard Curtiss hadn't done even the most basic research and just churned out a ridiculously over-sentimental piece of make-believe nonsense that decided to completely ignore over 30 years of Who history and have the Doctor happily changing all the rules of time he's previously established... for what? So Curtiss can just write some naff story with a sickly sentimental feeling to it.

Utterly dire. All tiredly formulaic Richard Curtiss and no Doctor Who.

What's interesting is that those who followed old Who seem to dislike this episode with equal intensity, where those brought up on the diet of dreadful Russel T Davies stories (will this be the first Christmas an episode is actually worth watching? a story with an actual proper ending instead of lots of deus ex machina nonsense because all Davies can do is write himself into a corner he can never write himself out of?)
Old 12-24-2010, 04:40 AM

Unfortunately the BBC DO seem to have over-used the word "Series". "Sherlock" is probably the best example. 3 episodes is NOT a series. It's a mini-series. But the BBC need to sell stuff so they pretend something is a "series" when it isn't (agree with you that the Who series are very definitely series and the comment in the review didn't really make sense).
Old 12-24-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
Matt Smith ? They really are getting younger (looking) every time. I predict that the next Doctor will be even younger and be very carefully crafted to appeal to the teen girl demographic even more. Such a shame that what was once quite a solid science fiction format has become such a pathetic eco-warrior hippy love fest.
I think this is way too harsh. Moffat writes great stories (although admittedly there is a lot of bad filler in the series. Gatiss dalek episode was a huge disappointment and the Silurians was utter pants) and the youth thing is hardly for the reasons you hint at: Matt Smith isn't exactly a looker is he? What he is is reminiscent of some of the greats who've played the role, in particular Patrick Troughton. For that I think they should be applauded - they haven't taken the easy route and chosen because of a specific age, they've chosen the right person for the role (and I say that as a "William Hartnelll was the best doctor" fan).