Various Christmas Carol Blu-Ray questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-19-2010, 01:18 AM

Default Various Christmas Carol Blu-Ray questions

Sorry if there is already a topic for this, but I could not find one. So I just recently purchased the Sim, Scott, and Carrey versions of A Christmas Carol, and I have some questions regarding them.

First, has the Patrick Stewart version been released on Blu-Ray yet? That was my favorite version until the Carrey version came out last year.

Secondly, I watched the Scott version today and why was it in fullscreen?

Third, how good is the quality of the Sim version? It worries me that I only paid $8 for it because it is single layered, has a DVD copy with it, plus bonus features.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 AM

I prefer the Sim version myself and it is the only one I own. The video quality is pretty good, especially given the age of the film (1951). The audio is OK, although not as good when compared to the video quality. I think it is a pretty good deal considering you only paid $8.00. I bought it last year, when first released, and paid $10 so it has always been a bargain title as far as I can tell. Haven't seen the Patrick Stewart version on BD so I think it is not yet available.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:46 AM

I liked the Stewart one the best. Carrey's was good..but it was animated. I also like Murray's Scrooge as well.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I liked the Stewart one the best. Carrey's was good..but it was animated. I also like Murray's Scrooge as well.
The reason Carrey's is my favorite version is because it is the most accurate to the book. I care care less if it is animated or not.

Dommie, thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
The reason Carrey's is my favorite version is because it is the most accurate to the book. I care care less if it is animated or not.

Never read the book, but did Scrooge zip around all over town for most of the story?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
First, has the Patrick Stewart version been released on Blu-Ray yet
No. It's a Turner/Hallmark production which means it's controlled by and released by Warner on home video. I imagine it could be prepped for blu-ray in the next year or two. Warner remastered the miniseries a few years ago (2007?) and it airs in HD on TNT every year.

Quote:
Secondly, I watched the Scott version today and why was it in fullscreen?
It's a TV movie from the 80s with an original aspect ratio of 1.37:1. The "full screen" transfer accurately preserves the film's original framing.

Quote:
Third, how good is the quality of the Sim version? It worries me that I only paid $8 for it because it is single layered, has a DVD copy with it, plus bonus features.
Film quality? Great. Video quality? Don't know, don't own it. It has a 72 (out of 100) average on Cinemasquid, which they classify as "good".
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I like the book too but I prefer to see this classic in a live setting...not an animated one. Not taking anything from the Carrey version..it was enjoyable enough. To each his own.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 PM

The George C. Scott version only played as a TV movie in the U.S.. In every other country in the world it played in theaters. For that reason, director Clive Donner filmed it with 1.85:1 in mind.

The 1.33:1 version is just open matte. You can zoom in on it and it frame perfectly, no chopped off heads or tight fitting.

The Sim version is excellent. About as good as it's going to ever look at this time. Single layer is fine for this film as it only runs 85 mins.

The Jim Carrey version is hardly the most faithful filmed version of the story. It goes off on wild tangents (the chase scenes), adds inappropiate humor (Marley's jaw, which is also played for laughs in the Patrick Stewart version for some reason.), etc. I like it but it's not as faithful as most seem to think.

The single most faithful filmed version to date is the 1971 animated short which in just 25 minutes manages to use most of the novel and in exacting detail. Alastair Sim reprised his role of Scrooge for the cartoon and he is actually BETTER here than in the 1951 version! This is also the darkest version of the story with a gloomy atmosphere and serious tone. It won the Oscar for Best Animated Short.

That said, I've enjoyed all filmed versions of the book for various reasons. The 1970 musical Scrooge, with Albert Finney, is my personal favorite. Heck, I even own that one on 16mm I love it so much!