The Stranger (1946): Feb 15th - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Default The Stranger (1946): Feb 15th

ok now I'm really getting a little scared.
this is a film I was hoping to see released by MGM, but
this seminal Orson Welles film noir classic is also scheduled to come out on blu-ray from Arts Alliance America on Feb 15th.
This looks to be a public domain release, so I don't have a lot of faith in good quality, but the excellent blu-ray release of "Night of the Living Dead" shows it can happen.
keeping my fingers crossed.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G9UXEE/...89&camp=211189
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 AM

well, if the transfer does turn out to be a winner, than i'm ecstatic about this.

now we need everything else from Welles..

EDIT: wow and only $11 at AMZ. i don't know, it seems to good to be true (price and transfer) but hopefully it'll be great.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:04 PM

I am skeptical, as this is not from MGM. However, it has been shown as an HD master on one of the DISH HD channels. It looked great on DISH. I just hope it's that version.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM

Screenshots:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-St...7/#Screenshots

I was intrigued when HD Cinema Classics/Film Chest announced BDs. The good news is the company can actually can get a good looking source, the bad news is it thinks classic film lovers want the grain scrubbed out until it's waxy mush. My proof? Well HD Cinema Classics provides the proof itself with before filtering and after filtering:

http://www.doblu.com/2011/02/07/kans...ential-review/

Just look at the bottom of the page.

So far the before and after for other BD releases like on 'Licence to Restore' and a WWII documentary make me prefer the before.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM

The other site just posted a review for kansas city confidential.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM

yeah it's better than The Stranger, but pretty bad imo.
neither release is worth getting imo, with The Stranger being particularly awful.
this company has a ton of work to do before they'll ever sell me a blu-ray.
maybe "The Terror" will be better, but they probably DNRed to death every release they have coming out.
don't these studios learn anything from how awful things turn out when they do that?
it's just mind-boggling how many people in the industry just don't "get it" that all this "post" work isn't needed and that less really is more 99% of the time.
When all you have to work with is some hand me down print, the best you can do is just try and replicate it the best you can.
detail is most likely already a huge issue, so the last thing you want to do is lessen it even more.
I mean you can't really get any more moronic.
It's like "we already don't have the best source, so let's make it even worse"
"it'll be blurry as hell, but at least they won't see as much print damage" seems to be the goal of these releases.
just mind-numbingly inept imo.

Last edited by Arkadin; 02-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.