Criterion Selection Help... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 AM

Smile Criterion Selection Help...

It has been some time since my last post in the forums, I was really occupied by some personal issues. I have a planned trip to the US for the next week, just after Christmas so I am making a list of movies which are my top priority. I really want to purchase a considerable amount of Criterion BDs but I want some advice as to which ones are the best to purchase or which should be from top priority as they may be Out of Print soon. I only own the next Criterion BDs:
- Red Desert by Michelangelo Antonioni
- Days of Heaven by Terrance Malick
- 8 1/2 by Federico Fellini
- Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa (DVD)

I had in mind The Thin Red Line, Che, Vivre sa Vie and Cronos. What do you think? Any advices or suggestions?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Former Member

you should buy whatever you want. you could buy 7 sam on Blu. no one knows what titles are going to go out of print, besides Criterion and the proper owners of the films. if we knew which ones were going OOP, we'd all stock up 3 to 8 deep.

just buy what you want, yo. hell, the prices you'll pay in stores for these, you may as well just order them from amazon.com. would be simpler, really.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:23 AM

Speak for yourself, Nate. Most of us don't have the bread for that! I do have three copies of The Third Man though and my fiance cant quite figure out why. I would suggest moving Criterion questions to the Criterion Collection sticky thread though -- the Criterion faithful there are bound to give you the most insightful answers.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks to both for your advice . Well, I will probably end up purchasing some of the ones I had already planned like The Thin Red Line and Cronos. The fact is that there are many Criterion releases I haven't seen yet (The film itself) so sometimes I just blind-buy the movie because most people like it and at the end will just add more options to my collection. I probably should have asked which ones do you think are the most completes packages (Best commentaries, interviews, extras, etc.).
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Cronos is a must buy. One of my favorite releases of the year.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:40 PM

House has some really fantastic supplementals. One interview had me tearing up.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM

The Thin Red Line is a must own, a terrific release, so definitely pick that one up, especially considering you own "Days of Heaven" and hopefully enjoy it. Also look into the following:

- The Seventh Seal (terrific film, in my top ten)

- Breathless (great release of a classic)

- Che (great package for the $)

- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (the supplements are an amazing document on the filmmaking)

- Modern Time (So funny and fun)

- Charade (another really fun one)

- M (Peter Lorre, nuff said)

- Gomorrah (Scorsese presents this extremely realistic crime film from Italy, its fantastic)

- Revanche (great film, but rent first, not for everyone)

- Bigger Than Life (very entertaining and crazy)

- Paths of Glory (Kubrick is King)

- Night of the Hunter (this and Bigger Than Life are great 50s cinema, still controversial today)

- Hunger (took top prize at Cannes in '08, terrific debut film from McQueen and it stars Inglourious Basterds' Michael Fassbender)

Those are just a few I really liked, I didn't like "Vivre Sa Vie" so maybe rent it first, but like a few people already said: to each their own. Good luck and hope that this helps somehow!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Former Member

why buy criterion versions of what you can already buy in the UK, like red desert or gomorrah? go for stuff you can't buy where you're at.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 PM

so many titles are essential.
let's say you can get 5.
I'd go for--

"Night of the Hunter"
"The Thin Red Line"
"Vivre Sa Vie"
"Wings of Desire"
"M"

if you can get more I'd then get--

The Seventh Seal
Che
Last Year at Marienbad
Breathless
Wages of Fear
Kagemusha
Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 PM

Chungking Express,

but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
why buy criterion versions of what you can already buy in the UK, like red desert or gomorrah? go for stuff you can't buy where you're at.
Exactly, why pay more than double if not 200% fan of the movie.