Blockbuster Gets a 28 Delay on Kiosks For Warner Bros Movies - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Blockbuster Gets a 28 Delay on Kiosks For Warner Bros Movies

Blockbuster loses the edge - at least in their kiosks.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/b...28-days-after/
Old 12-17-2010, 05:42 PM

If this spreads to their total access somehow I guess renting new releases will be dead.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if the 28 day window eventually went for all new releases for their online service just like netflix and redbox. I think Blockbuster's strategy is trying to push people back into their stores by making new releases only available in the stores for the first 28 days, and they raised their prices by taking away the $1.99 per night option. I went into a Blockbuster store for the first time in ages today because I really want to see The Town, and I didn't want to wait on netflix. They ONLY offer $4.99 new release rentals for 3 nights, and no longer offer the $1.99 rental for one night due to their new share holders policy. I told the manager that the new policy isn't competitive at all and walked out. The Blockbuster stores will most likely go out of business with stupid policies like that. I'm not paying $4.99 for one stinkin' rental. I'd rather wait it out for netflix, and I'll keep checking my local redbox kiosks whenever I'm near them.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Bravo to Warner for forcing Blockbuster to adhere to the same 28 day kiosk restrictions THAT BLOCKBUSTER CONVINCED THE STUDIOS TO FORCE UPON REDBOX, ETC.

Blockbuster is getting a taste OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE.

I use RedBox all the time. You couldn't pay me to go to a Blockbuster kiosk. F 'em!

Mark
Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 AM

I haven't seen a BlockBuster kiosk ANYWHERE in my area. I saw a RedBox kiosk by one of the American Airlines gates at Logan Airport last night. I thought "That's a great place to put one". BlockBuster are LOSERS. I hope they go out of business. They've been ANTI-Consumer for years.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDickWard View Post
Blockbuster loses the edge - at least in their kiosks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsho View Post
If this spreads to their total access somehow I guess renting new releases will be dead.
Blockbuster didn't "lose their edge", and this won't be spreading to Total Access. NCR "lost their edge" - Blockbuster Express kiosks are owned and operated by NCR, they basically just license the Blockbuster name. Blockbuster only owns & operates their stores and By Mail service, which have no delays - they shipped me The Town on Friday and I had it Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I haven't seen a BlockBuster kiosk ANYWHERE in my area. I saw a RedBox kiosk by one of the American Airlines gates at Logan Airport last night. I thought "That's a great place to put one". BlockBuster are LOSERS. I hope they go out of business. They've been ANTI-Consumer for years.
Netflix blu-ray customers are LOSERS, for putting up with 28 day waits for new releases and fewer and fewer blu-ray catalog releases carried in stock. For instant gratification their streaming service is great, as long as you don't care anything about audio & video quality. I hope Blockbuster stays in business for a long time. For blu-ray customers, their By Mail service is far superior to Netflix, and if Blockbuster were to go out of business Netflix would be even more ANTI-Consumer in doing whatever they want and telling their customers to take or leave it. I was Netflix customer for several years and hate them with a passion.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Netflix blu-ray customers are LOSERS, for putting up with 28 day waits for new releases and fewer and fewer blu-ray catalog releases carried in stock. For instant gratification their streaming service is great, as long as you don't care anything about audio & video quality. I hope Blockbuster stays in business for a long time. For blu-ray customers, their By Mail service is far superior to Netflix, and if Blockbuster were to go out of business Netflix would be even more ANTI-Consumer in doing whatever they want and telling their customers to take or leave it. I was Netflix customer for several years and hate them with a passion.
I canceled my Netflix membership. RedBox is fine for my needs.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 PM

netflix has always served my needs, streaming selection is good, i get to catch up on backlogs of movies i've always wanted to see (this was something blockbuster seriously lacked when i had their service) yeah they keep raising their prices so that pisses everyone off but they do it because they can, the demand is there
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Do you get the feeling that Warner has lost faith in Blockbuster's ability to bring the customer's back in at that $5 pricing scheme? Warner stated several months back that the 28 day window would eventually broaden (perhaps as long as 60 days)? Redbox already has an agreement that goes through 2012, so won't have to worry until after that. I for one still cannot understand how such an "anti-competitive", monopolistic scenario can even fly! What right does Blockbuster have to that 28 day exclusive window? Who is paying for it? Certainly not BB, as they simply cannot afford it. This puppetry is courtesy of studio manipulation (Universal, Warner, Fox--I am lookin' at you).
Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
Do you get the feeling that Warner has lost faith in Blockbuster's ability to bring the customer's back in at that $5 pricing scheme? Warner stated several months back that the 28 day window would eventually broaden (perhaps as long as 60 days)? Redbox already has an agreement that goes through 2012, so won't have to worry until after that. I for one still cannot understand how such an "anti-competitive", monopolistic scenario can even fly! What right does Blockbuster have to that 28 day exclusive window? Who is paying for it? Certainly not BB, as they simply cannot afford it. This puppetry is courtesy of studio manipulation (Universal, Warner, Fox--I am lookin' at you).
Well, I will say that one "trick" Warner has played is making only the single disc theatrical version only version of The Town available for rent. Even though Blockbuster by Mail had it listed as "Theatrical/Extended 2 disc", when it arrived Saturday I noticed the large "RENTAL" label on the disc, and sure enough it's only the 25GB disc with only the theatrical version & 2 puny extra features. So if you want the extended version of The Town, you have to buy it. I expect they'll be doing more tricks & gimmicks like this for new day & date releases. That's OK, they're still not going to get me to buy something I don't want to buy.