Video: New Blu-ray Commercial - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-06-2007, 02:11 AM
HDD Founder

Default Video: New Blu-ray Commercial

We're posting a story about this friday am, but here's a preview....

Quote:
Sony has unveiled a brand new commercial promoting Blu-ray, and it's nothing if not slick.

Produced by the same folks behind Sony Europe's high concept "Museum of Low Res" website, the lyrical new spot features a collection of increasingly surreal images, including a race car being dropped on a series of unsuspecting drum kits and a team of gladiators battling futuristic robo-cops.

Darned if we know what it's all supposed to mean, but the strange menagerie cinematic of images (all bathed in the light of blue lasers) certainly makes for some nice eye candy.

To watch the new spot for yourself, click here
Old 07-06-2007, 02:43 AM

I think it's supposed to represent a world of movies, games, and music inside of a Blu-ray disc player. I think it's kind of cool.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 AM

it was stuoid
Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psorre View Post
it was stuoid
Truly, the epitome of wit and charm. Are you just trolling?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

Sony needs to stop with this "we are smarter then you" kind of advertising.

Remember the Phillips flat screen TV ads? Thats the way to go. Relate to your audience. Don't go above their heads.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Very cryptic and not very informative, could be commercial for cars or instuments, maby it it better in high def, but doubt it
Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM

I support sony products, but this commercial looks like a big waste of money. I remember the ps3 commercials with crying baby dolls and no display of the system capabilites or games. I think Sony just has no clue how to advertise to us and maybe it has something to do with the execs being in a different culture. In terms of adding sales I truly think Sony puts out some of the worst commercials and hd-dvd fans have nothing to worry about here.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:23 PM

If I didn't know this was an ad for Blu-ray disc, I'd be lost. I suppose it targets video gamers, but I think that film collector's relate more to familiar images from known films. You have to give SONY credit for being artistic. Maybe this is the first in a series of ad campaigns to later include all markets.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggani View Post
You have to give SONY credit for being artistic. Maybe this is the first in a series of ad campaigns to later include all markets.
Slightly off topic but the bouncing balls one for the Bravia TVs was fantastic as is the latest one in the tower block with the exploding paint bombs:

www . bravia-advert . com

(sorry not enough posts to do links yet)
Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM

Oh my goodness. I just watched it, and I have to say that commercial will go over the heads of 95% of people who will watch it. This is NOT going to make people want to run out and buy a Blu-Ray player. It's so vague, dark and abstract that you have NO idea what the product is. Even at the end when they show the Blu-Ray logo, people are going to be confused. "So I go out and get Blu-Ray and I can have cars falling on my drum set in the rain?" It does NOTHING to tell the consumer about the advantages of Blu-Ray, what it is, or why they should buy it.

Whoever made this commercial may have cool artistic design skills, but they absolutely failed to communicate anything meaningful to the viewer. IMO, they need to make a catchy, uncomplicated commercial that EVERYONE will understand, not this weird abstract stuff that wouldn't sell an extra 5 players.