'Thelma & Louise' is coming February 8 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Default 'Thelma & Louise' is coming February 8

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4483/thelma_louise.html
Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM

I hope MGM have struck a new master for this and up the bitrate instead of keeping it low and cramming all the extras on the same disc as the film.

I love this movie and saw it last the cinema three times.

Last edited by FoxyMulder; 02-07-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: i boobed with the typing
Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you MGM/UA!!! 'T&L' is one of my top 5 most-anticipated catalog titles. Along with 'American Grafitti', and dare we hope - 'LOA', 2011 is shaping up to be the best catalog release year for me
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM

Well i watched this last week on blu ray, in my opinion it's a very good transfer, looks like a new master was used, the light grain structure reminded me a lot of what they did with Alien which as everyone knows was supervised by Ridley Scott and approved of by him.

I'm happy with the release, i have this to say on it from my own site.

"Regarding image quality, i believe Ridley Scott approved this transfer and just like last years release of Alien the film has had a makeover and appears to be a brand new transfer, film grain is extremely light and for the most part the movie looks incredibly clean but remains highly detailed, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Lowry worked on the transfer, at this point i would usually moan a little about the loss of film texture, by that i mean that while i think the detail levels are high i also think the loss of some film grain means it tends to look a little too clean and modern at times, there is no edge enhancement, no waxiness, no real issues to speak of.

It might have been nice to retain some more of the film texture but having said that i cannot argue that the release is highly detailed, it was shot anamorphic and as such there are softer lensed moments throughout the production, this is not DNR causing softness ( digital noise reduction at work ) this is just the camera lenses and the way the film was shot, the only loss here as already mentioned is a little bit of film texture, oh and yes this does have the orange/teal film look that so many movies are now getting when transferred to blu ray, i don't consider that a problem with this film though as it suits the sunny blue skies look of a hot dusky road movie, so whilst i bemoan a loss of a little film texture i will concede the picture quality is still high and looked very good to my eyes."

I was expecting the worst but i am pleased that some effort appears to have been put into this transfer, very pleased for a film i still enjoy twenty years after first seeing it at the cinema.

Some HD screencaps below that may give an indication of the quality of the release.

http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_rev...ma-and-louise/

I believe this is coming out tomorrow in shops all over the USA and i would personally recommend it, i'm sure this site will be reviewing it soon.