A big hit to UK anime fans, just made worse in the USA - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Former Member

Default A big hit to UK anime fans, just made worse in the USA

This story is relevant to both the USA and the UK, so I'm placing it in the USA bin.

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/bl...-rays-13-12-10

The article linked, basically, states that Manga, the UK distributor for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, will discontinue Blu-ray sales on the series, ending after part 2, while part 3 and all further releases are going DVD only.

This is news, really, due to how "disappointing" the sales have supposedly been for such a huge franchise.

Today, this story took a horrible twist. FUNimation sent screeners of the third part of FMA:B, and there is a noticeable change in the release compared to the first two volumes. Parts 1 and 2 were/are Region A/B compatible. Part 3 is Region A locked. Basically, the UK residents will REALLY be stuck with the DVD releases henceforth, unless they own a Region Free player.

I will be getting ahold of the FUNimation reps later this week on this, but since Part 4 is already somewhat announced, it may already be decided to make it Region A locked, as well.

The Blu-ray format has had only a few minor blows in recent years, with some cancelled titles (Blood Simple, anyone?), but an entire FRANCHISE getting the boot, possibly in all of Europe?!?! (any other country's release may not have English dubs or subs, after all!)

What does this mean to the USA? So far, nothing, but it is a sign that we need to support our favorite franchises/shows on Blu-ray, if we want to keep seeing them be released. NOTHING would hurt more than losing the DBZ: Kai line, before it hits its stride with the major changes a'coming. Studios, in cash strapped times, may see dwindling season sales and put the kabosh on series like Fox constantly does. This is NOT good.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Oh that sucks, I wonder what behooves them to region code something like anime.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Former Member

normally it's whatever regions they license when they pay for the rights. this one confuses the hell out of me. 1 and 2 are A/B, and both FUNimation and Manga released them, in their respective countries. it's not like FUNimation "lost" those rights, if some other company was releasing them already there. perhaps they were never supposed to be A/B here. still, horrible coincidence.

i have my email in, waiting to hear back.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
normally it's whatever regions they license when they pay for the rights. this one confuses the hell out of me. 1 and 2 are A/B, and both FUNimation and Manga released them, in their respective countries. it's not like FUNimation "lost" those rights, if some other company was releasing them already there. perhaps they were never supposed to be A/B here. still, horrible coincidence.

i have my email in, waiting to hear back.
Wonder if they are trying to sell them at a certain price point in varying regions to keep the Brits from buying cheap American disks.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Former Member

anything is possible, but it's still a dangerous sign. the bottom line is still SUPPORT THE DISCS if you want to see more of them.