'Wolverine and the X-Men: The Complete Series' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Default 'Wolverine and the X-Men: The Complete Series' - High-Def Digest Review

El Bicho has reviewed 'Wolverine and the X-Men.' He says this is a great series. This Blu-ray features fairly solid video, even better audio, and a massive number of truly worthwhile commentary tracks and extra features. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3772..._complete.html
Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM

It is a great series and only had one "meh" episode (the Silver Samurai one).

I might get this eventually. Now just release The Spectacular Spider-man and Avatar: TLA on BD!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Damn, didn't even know this was coming. I second Spectacular Spidey, and bring on X-Men Evolution as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 AM

I find it sad and disturbing that Cyclops isn't the main character in X-MEN anymore.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Former Member

Cyclops doesn't sell comics or bring in viewers. he sure as shit doesn't sell toys.

he's a real boring character, to be frank. wow, a snooty uptight leader with a dick attitude, whose eyes you can't see, who gets to be in a relationship with someone who dies every other comic/season. sorry, but i can make a case for any other team member these days as being more relevant than ol' visor boy.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM

Well said Nate.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 AM

I've been an X-Men fan since I was a kid, and I think the '90s X-Men animated series is still the best. I watched this series on TV, and and I thought it started off poorly, but it eventually became really good, and conclusion of the season was great. So I disagree with the reviewer that it deserves a 4.5/5. That's way too generous IMO; I'd rate it 3.5/5. It's a real shame that there won't be a second season for this series.

I'll be getting this Blu-ray for Christmas, and I look forward to watching the whole series in high-def. I'm glad that I didn't bother with any of the lame DVD volumes for this series, because the whole series on Blu-ray is an amazing value!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Nate and I can't be friends anymore...

First he says that Inception changes its rules...

Now he disses Cyclops!

LOL.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
Nate and I can't be friends anymore...

First he says that Inception changes its rules...

Now he disses Cyclops!

LOL.
Scott Summers is NOT a deep character, though. he's a leader. why? because he said so. because he's the oldest. he was there first. wow. that's special. i'm more an Alex Summers guy, but that doesn't change why i think Scott is just lame. he's impossible to empathize with. the fearless leader shtick only goes so far. he's constantly overshadowed by any and everyone around him. he's held on too high a pedestal, and should have been killed off, and left, not resurrected, not brought back, nothing.

i like the idea of the Age of Apocalypse cyclops only having one eye. it's kinda...fitting.

in the x-men films, while it's one of the better ACTED roles, the character is still the bitch. Emma Frost is a much, MUCH better character to have in a lead role in the comics. in the films, Storm, horrible character that she is, would have also worked.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM

@project-blu:
I never liked Cyclops' character until fairly recently, around the time of Messiah Complex event. Regarding Cyclops' depth as a character, I doubt that you've read the comics (recently), because after he took over the Xavier Institute, he's been developed into a more compelling character, with greater depth.

Cyclops has done a lot of cool things in the comics since Xavier left the Institute and Cyclops took charge: He saved the Mutant Messiah and entrusted her to Cable to be raised in the future. He ordered Wolverine to hunt down and kill Mystique after what she did in Messiah Complex. He reformed the X-Force as the X-Men's secret death squad, led by Wolverine, and tasked them with eliminating the worst enemies of mutantkind. It may sound like those "cool" things were actually done by other characters, but Cyclops was the leader of the X-Men who made those decisions, and he played a major role in those events, which really developed his character.

Of course, virtually none of Cyclops' character developments in the comics have translated to any of the cartoons or movies -- so he's still as boring and lame as ever. The only thing that translated to Wolverine and the X-Men was the idea of Xavier no longer being in charge of the X-Men, the supposed death of Jean Grey, and Emma Frost joining the X-Men. In the cartoon, Cyclops wasn't Xavier's pet anymore, because he was so devastated and became so withdrawn after Jean's apparent death, but he still wasn't an interesting character. The problem is that few writers know how to portray Cyclops in way that is interesting and compelling for fans; instead, they take the easy way out and focus on the more popular characters, such as Wolverine.