'Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Default 'Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew Taylor has reviewed 'Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?' This was his first Tyler Perry movie, and though he wanted to like it, he just couldn't get past the movie's faults. This Blu-ray features mediocre video and audio and a slim collection of promotional extras.
For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3628...y_married.html
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Taylor View Post
If there's one thing I took away from Tyler Perry's 'Why Did I Get Married Too' it's that African American men really do not like their significant others looking at their cell phones.

So much of the movie, in fact, is devoted to whether or not various characters will let the women folk look into their password-protected phones that I wondered why this wasn't more of a concern to me.
so 1 couple out of 4 that had issues with the password-protection references all of them??
Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 PM

I decline to debate the quality of Tyler Perry's body of work in general or this film in particular. However, I feel that reviewing any sequel without seeing the original is irresponsible.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
I decline to debate the quality of Tyler Perry's body of work in general or this film in particular. However, I feel that reviewing any sequel without seeing the original is irresponsible.
ive seen both films and i honestly dont think the first film is need as much.. it would have helped Drew understand the phone incident more though and few other incedints with the other couples
Spoiler
In the first movie Michael Jai White was cheating on Tasha Smith pretty bad and they both received a STD which explains her insecurity of him. she simply couldnt trust him as he was constantly cheating on her

now the quality of the movie, i could careless if Drew liked it or not.. clearly TP's target audience is black females and Drew isnt a black female lol.. as a half black man married to a full black woman who loves TP movies im forced to watch all of them even though im not a TP fan.. i did happen to enjoy this one

Last edited by chameleontongue; 12-09-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM

It's irrelevant whether it's necessary. The first rule of journalism is know your subject, or don't write about it.

I'm not upset over it or anything, but it's something I felt like sharing my view on. Had I drawn this assignment I'd have at least given the first flick a spin for the sake of having a point of reference.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
It's irrelevant whether it's necessary. The first rule of journalism is know your subject, or don't write about it.

I'm not upset over it or anything, but it's something I felt like sharing my view on. Had I drawn this assignment I'd have at least given the first flick a spin for the sake of having a point of reference.
blame the fact that the sequel hit blu-ray before the original, and due to such, some people who hadn't seen the original may have bought this release. it is good practice to jump in blind, to see if you can get why people like a series or show or whatever. it's also not always possible to have time to dig up the entire history of a character. when i parachuted into the doctor who specials, i had NO clue what i was doing at first, but it made sense by the second episode.

Drew definitely isn't in the target audience. the original is in the works for review, by me. i'm not the target audience, either, but i may like TP films more than the rest of the crew here. i'm probably the whitest/palest, hairiest (aka not a chick) bald guy on staff, and i don't have the religious beliefs that many of the characters have, but you know, i still can understand the plots points and characters.

will, Michael Jai White needed to just Black Dynamite the film up. we so need a sequel to that. i can't see him in any other role these days.

opinionhaver, drew was put in a tough spot for this review, and made the best he could out of the situation. he's still very well trained and experienced to do the technical portion of a review, and most TP fans ignore critics, since most of his work gets poopooed on regularly by reviewers.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Both great movies. Second one is even better.

Quote:
So much of the movie, in fact, is devoted to whether or not various characters will let the women folk look into their password-protected phones that I wondered why this wasn't more of a concern to me.
Shes definitely cheating on you.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
blame the fact that the sequel hit blu-ray before the original, and due to such, some people who hadn't seen the original may have bought this release. it is good practice to jump in blind, to see if you can get why people like a series or show or whatever. it's also not always possible to have time to dig up the entire history of a character. when i parachuted into the doctor who specials, i had NO clue what i was doing at first, but it made sense by the second episode.

Drew definitely isn't in the target audience. the original is in the works for review, by me. i'm not the target audience, either, but i may like TP films more than the rest of the crew here. i'm probably the whitest/palest, hairiest (aka not a chick) bald guy on staff, and i don't have the religious beliefs that many of the characters have, but you know, i still can understand the plots points and characters.

will, Michael Jai White needed to just Black Dynamite the film up. we so need a sequel to that. i can't see him in any other role these days.

opinionhaver, drew was put in a tough spot for this review, and made the best he could out of the situation. he's still very well trained and experienced to do the technical portion of a review, and most TP fans ignore critics, since most of his work gets poopooed on regularly by reviewers.
I understand what you are saying. Circumstances are what they are. This site is more focused on the tech aspects of these releases anyway; hell, that's why I come here. So it doesn't really matter if he saw the first one.

On the other hand, when you set out to critique someone else's work from any aspect, which I'm sure we can all agree is far easier than producing that work, you ought to at least come off as knowledgeable (even if you're faking it). This is especially true if you're being paid to do it, which I assume you all are.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Former Member

i understand. BUT, i don't think people like wikipedia based reviews where someone just bones up and then goes. meanwhile, many people can tell you're just faking it, and the whole thing comes across as shallow.

drew went about it how i would have: be honest, you haven't seen many. you're an outsider. you're in a tough spot, and the fans of the show are sure to rip the shit out of you. but you suck it up and give a view from an outsider. not everyone who goes to a TP film has seen them all. yes, knowing his history makes writing about him easier, and having things to compare against can make scores easier to go higher or lower, by comparison.

it just is what it is. i prefer the honest up front approach that drew did, and i see nothing wrong w/ going about reviews that way, as i have done numerous times. this site doesn't have a reviewer who fits in the TP target audience. we have guys who are occasionally interested in certain ones, yes, but we're all male reviewers, where TP films do aim at women quite a bit, though they give us some strong males for the guys who get drug along on the date. one doesn't need to be in the target audience to view or review. sometimes it's better that way, sometimes worse.

ah well, right?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM

As a Mexican man who is married to a black woman, I am also "forced" to watch TP movies and I found myself actually liking some of them. Most of them are preachy and actually share the same story line, woman abused by a bad man then saved by a good man. As a guy I would recommend that you watch the first one as it is the least preachy of his movies and actually quite funny thanks to Black Dynamite. Then check out The Family That Preys, it is also less preachy and is ok. After that you get into the Madea movies which are ok but the character runs thin after a while, she actually reminds me of Jay and Silent Bob. The characters are loved at first but nothing new is ever added to them which makes them boring after a while.