'Shrek: The Whole Story' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Default 'Shrek: The Whole Story' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has reviewed 'Shrek: The Whole Story.' He says this is a whole lot of great entertainment, currently for one great price ($40!). Four great movies, spectacular video and audio throughout, and a MASSIVE collection of extras, make this a MUST OWN release!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4164...ole_story.html
Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Wow, 7.1 Dolby TrueHD for all 4 movies? Sweet!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Yeah, the sound is pretty great for these. When I went to Dreamworks a few weeks ago, they ran scene-for-scene comparisons between the 5.1 mixes on the DVDs and the new 7.1s. Say what you will about the movies, but the sound design is excellent and truly immersive. And they sound great on my new 7.1 speakers
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM

i just bought this yesterday, it should be interesting as i havent watched part 1 in a few years. and i've only seen Parts 2 and 3 once when they first aired on our movie channel...and i've yet to see Part 4. lol
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Review gets some details of the final film wrong

I just watched Shrek Forever After on a few days ago and the review gets a couple of crucial details wrong:

Quote:
...Rumpelstiltskin has entered into a magical contract with Shrek in which he can find out what everyone's lives would've been like had he never been born.
Spoiler
Shrek enters into a contract with Rumpelstiltskin to trade 24 hours of his past life to experience 24 hours of a life in which he'd never rescued and married Fiona: no celebrity hero status, no wife and kids and everyone stays away from him because they're afraid of the big bad ogre. Rumpelstiltskin suggests that he trade a day from his infancy that he wouldn't remember anyway, and, unbeknownst to Shrek, takes the day that Shrek was born. If Shrek hadn't rescued Fiona, Rumpelstiltskin would have made a deal with her parents which would have given him the kingdom of Far, Far Away.

Quote:
...Shrek soon finds out that Rumpelstiltskin has put some fine print into the contract that could end up keeping Shrek in this world of the unknown forever, while Rumpelstiltskin sits on the throne and looms over the kingdom like Biff does to Hill Valley in 'Back to the Future 2.'
Spoiler
Since Rumpelstiltskin has removed the day that Shrek was born from his life, at the end of his 24 hours Shrek will cease to exist. Shrek discovers that there's a hidden exit clause in the contract which requires that he accomplish something very difficult before his time is up. Rumpelstiltskin, who's been King of Far, Far Away since the day that Shrek failed to show up to rescue Fiona, has been searching for Shrek so that he can capture and detain him to prevent him from fulfilling the conditions of the exit clause.
(Though I wrapped those corrections in [spoiler] tags, I don't actually reveal any details that are more spoiler-ish than those given in the review).
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 AM

I just want to talk about part 4 here because that's the most relevant one to talk about this time. I have to say I was surprised by it. It made me cry. It was emotional and the story was really great. After the disappointing third film, this film made the series end in a strong note. It's too bad the film didn't make a lot of money compared to the others because this one was really good. 8/10
Old 12-09-2010, 04:14 AM

I got the set Tuesday. Glad these flicks are finally on blu but the reason why I really wanted these is for the 4 different songs that are featured from Shrek The Musical. My family and I are going to see this when it comes to our town March '11 (I got tickets for the kids and my wife as part of their Christmas).
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 AM

The third movie is terrible, i thought that one was 2.35:1 though i guess my memory is playing tricks on me. What a complete disappointment though to find that they have ditched the fantastic extra available on the old DVD edition of Shrek that allows you to use your computer and dub your voice over the characters in a dozen or so scenes from the film, with blu ray technology we seem to sometimes get less than the original releases even though the technology and storage space has got better. I'm sure i spotted ringing on Shrek The Third which i really must sell on Ebay next year.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviewizguy View Post
I just want to talk about part 4 here because that's the most relevant one to talk about this time. I have to say I was surprised by it. It made me cry. It was emotional and the story was really great. After the disappointing third film, this film made the series end in a strong note. It's too bad the film didn't make a lot of money compared to the others because this one was really good. 8/10
It made a lot of money, almost as much as the third movie and more than the original, over $700m dollars at the worldwide box office, thats enough to consider it a hit movie.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=shrek4.htm
Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM

I never liked the shrek series all that much, especially after the 3rd movie.
The reviewer is spot on though, I just saw the 4th movie, and it is excellent.