Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Default 'The Walking Dead: Season One' is coming March 8

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4289...ngdead_s1.html
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 PM

49.99 for six episodes?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Default Pricey alright!

Yep that's a bit steep!

I'll be waiting for it to be a bit cheaper anyway, but definitely when it's only 6 eps.

Bloody brilliant show though, and the deviations from the source have all been great, not infuriating. Will definitely be picking it up at some point.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 PM

Very cool show, but I will be waiting for this to drop to $19.99
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto21 View Post
49.99 for six episodes?
I was thinking the exact same thing .. granted its $35 at Amazon .. but damn ! .. how many times will you watch the same 6 eps ?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM

Been watching this. Didn't realize season was over Like the show but $35, no thank you. Just like the Firefly series at $25 still too much. I'll keep my dvd set..
Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 AM

Show was great, but I'll wait until Season 2 is going to air before I bother buying this. By then, it should be on sale for liek $20.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 AM

Maybe I'm mistaken... but wasn't the show filmed in 16mm? So not only are you getting just 6 measly episodes for $35, but the image isn't going to be all that crisp and clean either!

Granted... it is the intended look.

As for the show, I must say that I was rather underwhelmed. I have not read the comic, nor was I familiar with its story. But I was intrigued by the show and the hype from most people got me rather excited. Not to mention I typically love anything Frank Darabont touches. But it just didn't live up.

Ultimately, I struggle with the suspension of disbelief. I don't particularly like the cast nor the characters. The zombies fail to convince, all to often simply looking like a bunch of drunk actors in makeup, and will quite frequently develop (temporarily) enhanced motor skills if required for a particular scene. Add to this a few too many continuity errors and plot holes (see below), with a few cheap digital fx thrown in... and I just can't buy in to the fantasy.

A couple of examples that really get me are:

Spoiler
- Towards the end of episode 1, Rick is riding into the city on horseback. The place looks completely deserted, with the highway completely clear of vehicles (at least heading into the city... thousands of poorly rendered digital cars fill the other lanes). Rushing through the city's empty street he turns a corner only to find thousands of zombies all compacted into one street. C'mon... not a single zombie spilled out into further areas??
- During episode 2, there is a scene where Rick and Glenn are being covered in zombie guts to walk by them undetected. Rick is very adamant that everyone be careful not to get any blood or guts on their skin. As he is about to leave, Andrea asks for a key... so Rick removes his glove, reaches into his pocket to retrieve the key, leaving a clearly visible blood streak on his left hand. Epic fail, Rick!!

If I didn't know the pedigree of the talent behind it, I would have simply written it off as another cheap, poorly produced, soon-to-be-axed cash-in... but given its creed, I persevered. And now the season is over, I can say that I do kinda like it... but I am only just hanging on.

I know I am in the minority here... but could I possibly be the only person to not love this show? What is it that people are loving about it? Surely it can't just be because its about zombies.

Hopefully season 2 with a new writing support team (and hopefully a bigger budget) can make me look forward to the next episode.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Former Member

season 2 WILL have a new writing team, as none were retained.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 AM

i have read the graphic novel and watched season 1. and i must say that the television series did the novel justice. some slight changes still but very well done. it was like watching a movie rather than a weekly television show. one of the very best of the zombie genre.