Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Landy is offline Go Jets Go!

beto21 is offline Member

49.99 for six episodes?

thylacine is offline Member

Default Pricey alright!

Yep that's a bit steep!

I'll be waiting for it to be a bit cheaper anyway, but definitely when it's only 6 eps.

Bloody brilliant show though, and the deviations from the source have all been great, not infuriating. Will definitely be picking it up at some point.

Player: Samsung BD-P1500 / Playstation 3
    Display: Samsung full HD 46" LCD, LA46B650 (via HDMI)
    Audio: Logitech Z5450 (via optical)

Blu-ray: 175 DVD: 606

Lakersvh is offline Member

Very cool show, but I will be waiting for this to drop to $19.99

Quote Originally Posted by beto21 View Post
    49.99 for six episodes?
    I was thinking the exact same thing .. granted its $35 at Amazon .. but damn ! .. how many times will you watch the same 6 eps ?

tienvg is offline Member

Been watching this. Didn't realize season was over Like the show but $35, no thank you. Just like the Firefly series at $25 still too much. I'll keep my dvd set..

Dr Kain is offline Member

Show was great, but I'll wait until Season 2 is going to air before I bother buying this. By then, it should be on sale for liek $20.

Maybe I'm mistaken... but wasn't the show filmed in 16mm? So not only are you getting just 6 measly episodes for $35, but the image isn't going to be all that crisp and clean either!

Granted... it is the intended look.

As for the show, I must say that I was rather underwhelmed. I have not read the comic, nor was I familiar with its story. But I was intrigued by the show and the hype from most people got me rather excited. Not to mention I typically love anything Frank Darabont touches. But it just didn't live up.

Ultimately, I struggle with the suspension of disbelief. I don't particularly like the cast nor the characters. The zombies fail to convince, all to often simply looking like a bunch of drunk actors in makeup, and will quite frequently develop (temporarily) enhanced motor skills if required for a particular scene. Add to this a few too many continuity errors and plot holes (see below), with a few cheap digital fx thrown in... and I just can't buy in to the fantasy.

A couple of examples that really get me are:

Spoiler:
    - Towards the end of episode 1, Rick is riding into the city on horseback. The place looks completely deserted, with the highway completely clear of vehicles (at least heading into the city... thousands of poorly rendered digital cars fill the other lanes). Rushing through the city's empty street he turns a corner only to find thousands of zombies all compacted into one street. C'mon... not a single zombie spilled out into further areas??
    - During episode 2, there is a scene where Rick and Glenn are being covered in zombie guts to walk by them undetected. Rick is very adamant that everyone be careful not to get any blood or guts on their skin. As he is about to leave, Andrea asks for a key... so Rick removes his glove, reaches into his pocket to retrieve the key, leaving a clearly visible blood streak on his left hand. Epic fail, Rick!!

If I didn't know the pedigree of the talent behind it, I would have simply written it off as another cheap, poorly produced, soon-to-be-axed cash-in... but given its creed, I persevered. And now the season is over, I can say that I do kinda like it... but I am only just hanging on.

I know I am in the minority here... but could I possibly be the only person to not love this show? What is it that people are loving about it? Surely it can't just be because its about zombies.

Hopefully season 2 with a new writing support team (and hopefully a bigger budget) can make me look forward to the next episode.

project-blu is offline Former Member
    I'm not here. I'm elsewhere. Don't celebrate, I'm not dead yet.

season 2 WILL have a new writing team, as none were retained.
    Tumbleweeds.

Tumbleweeds everywhere.

ajm56 is offline Member

i have read the graphic novel and watched season 1. and i must say that the television series did the novel justice. some slight changes still but very well done. it was like watching a movie rather than a weekly television show. one of the very best of the zombie genre.

MrAngles is offline Member

I'm still waiting for the show to kick in... I'm a big fan of Darabont but so far everything in the show has been done before and done better. The idea seems to be to get you to focus more on the characters, but they are all uninteresting cookie cutter characters, and since there's barely any zombie action and the plot is all blatant rehashes strung together but a thin thread, I'm not sure what's left to enjoy.
    RIP Kosty you are missed.

Plissken99 is online now Member

I have toyed around with screenwriting, but never get one done for one reason or another, largely because I want to write something completely original. I was in the process of attempting to write a TV show I called "Road of the Dead", I had the idea 2 years ago and started writing it over a year ago. Then a few short months later I heard about this and dropped it(seems to happen every time I get a really good idea, someone thinks of it around the same time with the know how to get something made ).

My show would have featured more zombie action, and at the end of the 1st season, our survivors would have come across a town that seemed largely unaffected, with well protected borders. All would seem well until it turns out the townsfolk worship zombies, and soon plan to feed the survivors to the zombie horde, end season 1!

Still I respect the direction this show has taken, more acting than action, and likely more budget friendly than my idea.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

ajm56 is offline Member

The Walking Dead was written in 2003

Plissken99 is online now Member

But it wasn't turned into a tv show until now. Lots of zombie stories were written before, but I specifically had the idea for a zombie tv show.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I know I am in the minority here... but could I possibly be the only person to not love this show? What is it that people are loving about it? Surely it can't just be because its about zombies.
    I'm in the minority as well. The show definitely failed to live up to the hype IMO. The character development and pacing was fine, but having not read the comics nothing really jumped out and grabbed me. Other than Rick I had zero attachments to any of the characters, and the last episode was the only one that really got me interested. Six episodes is just too short of a season for me to make an investment. I doubt I'll be tuning in for season 2.
    Last edited by hairlesswookiee; 12-09-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Supporter. Current Toys: Vizio M65D0, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Phillips BDP7501.
    Console List:
    PS4,ONE,Gamecube, N64, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn,PSTv,Vita,3DS, Retron 5
    Lifetime member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart
    2017 Completed List:http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...inish-481.html
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast