'The Exorcist' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Default 'The Exorcist' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh Zyber has reviewed 'The Exorcist.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2552...neverseen.html
Old 12-06-2010, 02:00 PM

I bought this on Day 1. Great flick and great Blu.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Really glad it contains the theatrical cut, and that I'm not the only who prefers it (I'd happily never watch the extended one again, and agree completely with the review's comments on the additional scenes - the ending annoyed the hell out of me... "WHY IS IT STILL GOING?!?!? It should've ended before where it did in the original, this is just draaaaaagging and stupid!").

I replaced my original DVD of the theatrical cut (selling it) and bought the DVD of the 'version you've never seen' as a blind-buy, adoring the original and not really knowing what had been added, and for ages I wished I'd kept my original DVD.

Glad I can finally get the superior version back...
Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM

There's a few spooky ass pics in that review. I couldn't hardly read the audio portion of the review without looking over at the demon possessed Regan.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
There's a few spooky ass pics in that review. I couldn't hardly read the audio portion of the review without looking over at the demon possessed Regan.
the "subliminal messaging" is my favorite thing about the film, with the last screenshot captured in the review being my personal favorite.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM

From the review: "He [Blatty] also talks about his belief that the TV show 'Columbo' was a rip-off of his Detective Kinderman character."

Columbo originated in 1960 television anthology series, where the character wore the trademark rumpled suit. The TV series started after a 1968 TV movie.

The novel for the Exorcist was published in 1971. The film was released in December 1973. It's just not chronologically possible for the Detective Kinderman character to have been the basis for Columbo.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 AM

This is a hideously overrated movie with a few bravura shock scenes padded out by an incredible amount of really tedious filler. I wish I could even be bothered by its retrograde religious dogma, but its form doesn't attract enough interest to make its content relevant.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Now that I have provided my 2c fans can go back to discussing the quality of the release.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman View Post
This is a hideously overrated movie with a few bravura shock scenes padded out by an incredible amount of really tedious filler. I wish I could even be bothered by its retrograde religious dogma, but its form doesn't attract enough interest to make its content relevant.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Now that I have provided my 2c fans can go back to discussing the quality of the release.
Ouch. To each his own. Hey - Im the king of disliking films that everyone else seems to rave about so I cant argue with you. But, the film and those "tedious" moments are what create such believable characters and a palpable sense of dread. Its the best cast film ever and one of the best acted too. Sure, todays audiences that are accustomed to Eli Roth torture crap and gore might get bored but otherwise.... I dunno man.

I also realize that religion is almost a swear word these days and any film dealing with it loses half the audience. Still - it is what it is and there aint nothing else like it. Super flick. I suppose people would prefer typical horror films where you cant wait for the dumb teenagers to get ripped in half with the intestines spraying all over. It is FUNNY, but its hard to take any of it seriously.

No problem.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Default Looking forward to the Blu-Ray

I remember back when the book was released, everyone at worked talked about it. It was one of the few books I read, could not put it down and finished it in one day. Everyone said they could never film those controversial scenes, in particular the masturbating scene. When the film was released I in stood in line for 2 hours, the excitement in the crowd was exhilarating. There on the screen was every key scene from the book, I was astonished.
Only a few times did I ever have that exciting experience again, previously it was “Psycho”, then “Jaws”, “Jurassic Park”, "Star Wars" and "The Silence of The Lambs".
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyH View Post
From the review: "He [Blatty] also talks about his belief that the TV show 'Columbo' was a rip-off of his Detective Kinderman character."

Columbo originated in 1960 television anthology series, where the character wore the trademark rumpled suit. The TV series started after a 1968 TV movie.

The novel for the Exorcist was published in 1971. The film was released in December 1973. It's just not chronologically possible for the Detective Kinderman character to have been the basis for Columbo.
In the commentary, Blatty claims that he'd been pitching the idea for the book to various publishers for a few years before finally landing one, and puts forth a conspiracy theory that one of the publishers leaked details of the story and characters. However, I tend to agree that Blatty's timeline seems dubious to me. It's very possible that he wasn't even aware that the Columbo character goes back as far as 1960.