'Spider-Man 2' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM

Default 'Spider-Man 2' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate Boss has reviewed 'Spider-man 2.' This is another great Spidey review for THE great Spidey film! This Blu-ray features very strong video, excellent audio, and two versions of the film. Recommended!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4025/spiderman2.html
Old 12-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Great review, Nate.
I have to go and give this a spin again sometime.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 AM

I'm still a bit puzzled why so many people are so ga-ga over Part 2.. while I do like this movie, I actually like all three movies more or less equally for different reasons - yes even part 3. I put them all in the 4-4.5 range though Part 1 may be my favorite just because it kicks the franchise off so well.. but back on topic; even this much lauded sequel has that god awful train sequence when people see his identity; it's hammy beyond belief..
Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 AM

Was it just me or did anyone else think the movie should have been over the first time Spiderman punched Doc Ock, or when he nailed him with a bag full of what appear to be gold coins? Doc's mechanical arms are incredibly strong, but his head and body are just human.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
I'm still a bit puzzled why so many people are so ga-ga over Part 2.. while I do like this movie, I actually like all three movies more or less equally for different reasons - yes even part 3. I put them all in the 4-4.5 range though Part 1 may be my favorite just because it kicks the franchise off so well.. but back on topic; even this much lauded sequel has that god awful train sequence when people see his identity; it's hammy beyond belief..
Yeah, I agree. I like the first movie best. I don't get all the hate for 3. It was at least on level with 2. I found 2 to be boring at some parts and slow. As you pointed out, the train sequence is just kinda silly and rivals some of the silly in part 3.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Yeah, I agree. I like the first movie best. I don't get all the hate for 3. It was at least on level with 2. I found 2 to be boring at some parts and slow. As you pointed out, the train sequence is just kinda silly and rivals some of the silly in part 3.
I definitely think 2 was overall the greatest movie. It had the best story and villain, and just all around fired on all cylinders pretty perfectly. Yeah, there was some silly stuff in it-- not just the train thing, but there's the "NOOOOOO!!" moment from Doc Ock, etc. All the movies have them, and they are kind of written like the comics were back in the 70's (the ones Raimi grew up with).

I don't think the problem with the other films is necessarily the silly moments. Spider-Man 3 was just way too much in too little time. There were too many arcs going on (The black suit, the sandman, Eddie Brock, Mary Jane's resentment towards Peter's success, Harry grappling with his revenge, etc.). It was too much to cram into a single film and the story collapsed under it's own weight. It just didn't work very well.

The thing with Spidey 1 is that, for me, if you split the movie into two halves, the first half would be my favorite of all three films. But the second half doesn't work as well-- the Green Goblin costume is just so cheezy looking. He looks like a villain from Power Rangers. It just brings the entire hero/villain conflict and entire second half of the movie down. And the moment where Spider-Man saves both Mary Jane and the bus full of children kind of undermines the source from the comic where he has to let Gwen Stacey die.
I actually enjoy watching all three movies. I don't absolutely hate part 3 but I agree it is by far the worst and a huge missed opportunity with the basic premise they were working with. But Spider-Man 2 I consider to be not just the best Spidey flick, but in the top 5 greatest superhero films made thus far.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Former Member

motor- if you split spidey 1 in half, yes, the first half would be pure amazing. they did a great origin, but then they dropped the ball.

they should not have had mary jane be the love interest in part 1. MJ should have been there, yes, but part of what makes the character tragic is the death of Gwen Stacey, one of THE pivotal deaths in comics that would be a taboo to ever try to undo. the whole bridge sequence was just awful. you're right, he shouldn't have been able to save both. why be presented with a choice when you will just do both? that's like in batman forever. it didn't work then, it didn't work in spidey, and it don't work now. they went a bit too family friendly in that way.

i'd really like to know why ANYONE can honestly say part 3 stands up in this series. it has horrible problems with pacing and mood, unlikeable characters, and so very very many plots and subplots that it's really just a clusterfuck of epic proportions. i also think it's bullshit MJ freaks out about spidey doing an upside down kiss when she did one herself to JJJ Jr in part 2. that's their kiss, yet she did it herself to someone else she KNEW wasn't spidey?

as a whole, it's a great film series/trilogy, but it has its low moments. as for the top 5 greatest superhero films made, period, it's in there, for sure. Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Iron Man, Spidey 2 (not necessarily in that order), and then the fifth which could go to X2, Spidey 1, Blade 2, or a few others i'm sure. it's really just a top 4.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 PM

I think 3 works on a different level -- the characters feel more evolved at this point and I like the triangle of Peter/Gwen/Mary Jane..
Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Former Member

ah.

i really didn't like the triangle. the harry character seems tacked on, the climax is bad with a capital WTF. just a lame "final battle." but you're allowed your opinions, yo. can't hate on that.

ah well, just have to hold my breath on the upcoming unnecessary reboot.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Not a fan of Part 1 at all.
It has very little identity as a Sam Raimi movie, most likely because he was on a pretty tight leash and had to prove to Sony he could handle this big franchise. It was of coarse successful, regardless of quality and then BOOM, much more freedom and as a result, Spider-Man 2 has Sam Raimi stamped all over it.