Default 'Never Let Me Go' is coming February 1

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4415/neverletmego.html
Old 12-02-2010, 04:59 PM

Fantastic movie. Very underrated
Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
Fantastic movie. Very underrated
Not really, the film had so much going for it but the source material is its huge flaw. It doesn't provoke any questions clone films do and it doesn't take the concept further than it should. Everythign you expect to happen happens and then all of a sudden it ends. As soon as you were expecting this film to go somewhere it stops because it has no idea what to do with itself and its immensely predictable story. The acting, the score, the cinematography all were superb yet its source material holds it back. Even though the film's depressing, what makes it more depressing is it had so much potential and it didn't live up to it.

My biggest disappointment of 2010 and wtf is up with the shitty boxart? I have a feeling 127 Hours will follow with shitty boxart to match these Fox Searchlight boxarts.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Not really, the film had so much going for it but the source material is its huge flaw. It doesn't provoke any questions clone films do and it doesn't take the concept further than it should. Everythign you expect to happen happens and then all of a sudden it ends. As soon as you were expecting this film to go somewhere it stops because it has no idea what to do with itself and its immensely predictable story. The acting, the score, the cinematography all were superb yet its source material holds it back. Even though the film's depressing, what makes it more depressing is it had so much potential and it didn't live up to it.

Sorry, I just have to disagree with you here....you didn't grow up in this "alternate reality", so you don't really know....I really don't find it very difficult to believe that they just went with it (kind of). Hell, you can just look at slavery (or any sort of oppression) and see how something like this can happen. This is a story about 3 people's lives.....it did its job.....VERY WELL
Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
Sorry, I just have to disagree with you here....you didn't grow up in this "alternate reality", so you don't really know....I really don't find it very difficult to believe that they just went with it (kind of). Hell, you can just look at slavery (or any sort of oppression) and see how something like this can happen. This is a story about 3 people's lives.....it did its job.....VERY WELL
I don't have to grow up in this alternate reality to understand and maybe it's a metaphor for slavery but it really doesn't make any sense. It seems like they were willing for death when they can easily escape. It's too straightforward and generic and like i said very predictable. I saw things coming from a mile away but I expected all of this to happen so it could take the story to another level, expand past its concept, not to mention how uneventful all of 3 of the main characters lives are.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:11 PM

Sorry, Idioteque, I'm with Stormshadow. I saw the film three times and think it's some kind of underrated masterpiece.

Your criticism of the film -- the argument about why they didn't just run away -- is the most common and basic interpretation of the material based on what we know about HUMAN behavior in our world. You are forgetting that his is a DYSTOPIA, an alternate reality and that they are clones who:

1. Are very proud of the service they provide to the world and fully accept their roles in the society they live in -- they understand and take pride in their mission during their short lives. This does not mean they are immune to human emotion, desires, hopes and dreams -- and that is the tragedy. The theme is one of predetermination and our finite amount of time in the world, and that is brilliantly captured in the film. In the end, the clones live and love as we do, just in an accelerated cycle. That doesn't make it any less difficult for them to go, or for us. But ask yourself -- when our time comes, can we fight against death? Run away from it? No, we cannot.

2. The clones are raised in a world that is completely isolated from society, and are conditioned from inception not to question or challenge authority in any way. Note that they are told horror stories about those who ventured beyond the wall of the school grounds. The point is, they are not of a mind to be able to rebel, even if they wanted to. They understand and wish to fulfill their roles. The big question you are overlooking here, and one of the main themes, is -- can any of us really escape our roles in life, make major changes to our daily routines, turn things around, etc. The answer, for most people who even have the will to do so, I suspect is no. And the clones don't even have the will to do so. Their mindset is one of dutiful obedience, period. They are not rebels and understand that they have been created for a purpose.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurhire View Post
Sorry, Idioteque, I'm with Stormshadow. I saw the film three times and think it's some kind of underrated masterpiece.

Your criticism of the film -- the argument about why they didn't just run away -- is the most common and basic interpretation of the material based on what we know about HUMAN behavior in our world. You are forgetting that his is a DYSTOPIA, an alternate reality and that they are clones who:

1. Are very proud of the service they provide to the world and fully accept their roles in the society they live in -- they understand and take pride in their mission during their short lives. This does not mean they are immune to human emotion, desires, hopes and dreams -- and that is the tragedy. The theme is one of predetermination and our finite amount of time in the world, and that is brilliantly captured in the film. In the end, the clones live and love as we do, just in an accelerated cycle. That doesn't make it any less difficult for them to go, or for us. But ask yourself -- when our time comes, can we fight against death? Run away from it? No, we cannot.

2. The clones are raised in a world that is completely isolated from society, and are conditioned from inception not to question or challenge authority in any way. Note that they are told horror stories about those who ventured beyond the wall of the school grounds. The point is, they are not of a mind to be able to rebel, even if they wanted to. They understand and wish to fulfill their roles. The big question you are overlooking here, and one of the main themes, is -- can any of us really escape our roles in life, make major changes to our daily routines, turn things around, etc. The answer, for most people who even have the will to do so, I suspect is no. And the clones don't even have the will to do so. Their mindset is one of dutiful obedience, period. They are not rebels and understand that they have been created for a purpose.
+1! Great post! I 100% agree!

I just finished watching it, and its a beautiful film indeed. Spielberg once talked about a sub-genre of science fiction that really focused on the "human" aspect, rather than the flashy and futuristic stuff you are used to seeing in those type of movies. He cleverly called it "non-sci-fi" which meant this stuff could be possible in the real world. I believe in the genre of non-sci-fi, this and "Children of Men," are among the best I've seen. Both are highly underrated as well.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurhire View Post

Those comments just make the film even weaker, it just gives you a boring story right there. The film goes nowhere and the characters are static, they hardly change at all and honestly I didn't see them being happy with their characters, and there was actually a rebellious side of them as you see when they go to see Keira's original and if they feel human emotions, than the emotion to rebel and live a free life would be one of them. As kids they are scared of those horror stories but the kids find out an early age what they were made to do by the main teacher, it seems like a force is stopping them from escaping their fate yet it feels so restrained. The story fails to take risks, it's very static story and this humanity thing has been explored in how many clone movies? In a lot of them. And it wasn't their time to die either, they volunteer and die. It's no time, the story about this character isn't different from the other countless characters in the movie. There is no significance and your thing about we are given certain roles, we make decisions that define our rules we are not just born into those rules. Most of the movie is just obvious stuff, I haven't overlooked anything, it's just a far too simple film for my tastes that refuses to take risks and take the story further. It's predictable and it brings nothing new to the table.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Banned

Trying to convince someone that their personal opinion about a movie is somehow wrong is kinda dumb.