'Red' is coming January 25 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Default 'Red' is coming January 25

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4282/red_2010.html
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM

Wow this was JUST out in theaters LOL. Anyone see it, what did you all think of it?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 AM

No. The scense in the TV commercials looked good, and it certainly has an all star cast. Hmmm, just checked imdb.com and almost 20k voters give it a 7.2/10. Added to the rental Q for now.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Just an FYI, that link points to the "Special Edition" which is currently $23.99. There's an "economy edition" (that just says "Red" w/o any mention of Special Edition) that Amazon had for $17.99 but have now pulled it as "unavailable", and Target has listed for $13. That edition has only Dolby Digital 5.1 lossy audio, only the Special Edition has DTS MA lossless audio. All rental outlets are also probably getting only the economy edition with DD audio.

Amazon has the "economy" (POS) version back up, at only $12.99.

Last edited by Cochise; 01-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Wow, I can't believe they would put out an edition with lossy audio when a lossless is also for sale. I'm expecting my copy from NF tomorrow. I bet it will have a lossy DD track on it. So stupid these studios....
Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Wow, I can't believe they would put out an edition with lossy audio when a lossless is also for sale. I'm expecting my copy from NF tomorrow. I bet it will have a lossy DD track on it. So stupid these studios....
Yes, Warner seemed to have started something with putting out an "economy" version (I prefer POS) of The Town with only the Theatrical version on a 25GB disc for the rental market and budget retail market for those who don't know or don't care about the difference. But having to buy a "Special Edition" priced twice as much that's still only 1 disc, but DL 50GB just to get high-def audio blu-ray promised is a new low. The more the studios try to force me to buy something that I think is a one viewing rental only, the more I'm tempted to hold off buying something I do want to own until it's in the bargain bin.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Yes, Warner seemed to have started something with putting out an "economy" version (I prefer POS) of The Town with only the Theatrical version on a 25GB disc for the rental market and budget retail market for those who don't know or don't care about the difference. But having to buy a "Special Edition" priced twice as much that's still only 1 disc, but DL 50GB just to get high-def audio blu-ray promised is a new low. The more the studios try to force me to buy something that I think is a one viewing rental only, the more I'm tempted to hold off buying something I do want to own until it's in the bargain bin.
Yup, me too. I haven't purchased one blu-ray I wasn't already going to purchase just because they put add'l special features or a better audio track on their "special editions". Heck, I haven't made one purchase I wasn't going to make because of the 28 day rental delay at NF either. From what I've read, WB reported higher sales because of the rental delay but it wasn't from me.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Please let us know when you get it if it is the version with the DD audio. I was so convinced that is all Summit is going to allow us the privilege of renting that I knocked it down in my Q at Blockbuster by Mail. Enjoy the loss of even the measly rental income you disdain so much, Summit, Blockbuster is sending me Red Hill instead.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Please let us know when you get it if it is the version with the DD audio. I was so convinced that is all Summit is going to allow us the privilege of renting that I knocked it down in my Q at Blockbuster by Mail. Enjoy the loss of even the measly rental income you disdain so much, Summit, Blockbuster is sending me Red Hill instead.
I've got Red Hill coming from Netflix.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I've got Red Hill coming from Netflix.
Red Hill looks pretty good, a user on imdb.com ranks it in the top 10 "modern" westerns.

And over at the AVSforum thread for Red, users have confirmed that both the Netflix & Blockbuster by Mail version is the "movie only" version with only DD audio. So now it's completed deleted from my rental Q. It looked a mindless fun movie to watch once, but I enjoy the high-def audio just as much as the high-def video so it's not even worth a rental from me.