Maybe a stupid question but.... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Default Maybe a stupid question but....

Just wondering about the release of Avatar on 3D. Will you need a 3D TV to view this or will they be selling it with those flimsy cheap 3D glasses such as the case of "My Bloody Valentine"? It's a sweet price for the extended version on amazon so I'm just wondering if I should wait for the 3D? I have an LED TV so if you need a 3D TV it's pointless to wait. Anyone know the story? Seems like it would be easy enough to let you use the glasses you get from the theater or include the paper ones but I'm guessing that's not going to be the case.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:39 PM

All blu-ray 3D release need a 3D capable BD player to begin with - no current player can be upgraded, except for the PS3. And if you use an AV receiver you need a 3D capable receiver or one of the 3D BD players that have 2 HDMI out ports - one for audio for the receiver, the other to send the video to a 3D display. Then you need a 3D display, and none of the TVs you've been asking about in the Home Theater forum are 3D. And all the 3D TVs need special glasses designed specifically for that TV. So no, flimsy cheap 3D glasses won't cut it. And I believe the 3D Avatar blu-ray isn't goiong to be offered for sale, just bundled with 3D TV sets. So, if you want the extended version of Avatar, I'd get it now.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Anaglyph 3D is dead as far as Blu-ray, and most likely the whole industry, is concerned.

Even My Bloody Valentine has been re-released in the proper 3D format on Blu-ray. Although it was a Best Buy exclusive.

You will need a new 3DTV, and the polarized glasses that you receive from the theater will not work at home because the home 3D system uses a shutter system.

fitprod
Old 11-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks Cochise that's what I figured I guess I'll be getting the 2D version, seems like it would have been just as simple to do it the way My Bloody Valentine did but I guess they're in the market to sell 3D equipment. Like the concept of 3D, don't love all the add ons it requires and see it as a fad but who knows. Cheers
Old 11-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Yep, here it is: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/5689

Beginning Dec. 1, Avatar 3D is an exclusive bundle with Panasonic Viera Full HD 3D TV.

I've eagerly anticipated every upgrade to home theater - HDTV, DVD upscaling, HD DVD/Blu-ray, but I'm skipping 3D - anything that needs special glasses to see isn't realistic to me. Maybe when they get 3D holographs in the middle of your living room I'll bite.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Agreed, I think it's an interesting concept but I don't see sustained interest in 3D technology otherwise I would have spent the extra money when I bought my TV but the value just isn't there. I'll stick with 2D versions of movies, although the option would have been nice.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Whether it be the new fancy glasses, or the old flimsy ones, I just do not like wearing them. Once the tech has matured enough to the point of having no need to wear any glasses, I'll be a lot more interested. For now, am sticking with 2D for all my home video needs as well. Then again, I remember reading an article awhile back about Toshiba coming out with 3DTV's this year in Japan that won't require the user to wear glasses, but am not holding my breath for one, the tech is likely not very matured yet but it's a step in the right direction I guess.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I'm not interested in 3D with glasses, but the Toshiba 3D apparently has sweet spots, I think there are nine of them, to actually see the 3D image properly
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 PM

The problem with no glasses 3D is that currently, they can only get the technology to work on smaller televisions (i.e. 20 inch). It will be perfect for things like slot machines, but it may be awhile before they find a way to improve it larger scale.