How DATED is this Best Buy ad? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Default How DATED is this Best Buy ad?

Saw this on the weekend. Dolby TrueHD? Really? Its used on like 1% of new discs now. Everything is DTS-MA. Not that it matters, just weird to see Dolby being mentioned when its clearly hardly ever used anymore:

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM

When Mike Palmer and I were at Dolby the other week, I specifically asked them about why TrueHD has lost so much ground to DTS-HD Master Audio on Blu-ray. They claim the issue wasn't licensing costs (as previously speculated), but simply a matter that TrueHD's encoding times look longer than DTS's. Time is money in Hollywood, and studios began to shift toward the faster method.

Dolby says that they've made efficiency improvements to speed up the process recently, and that TrueHD will start appearing on more titles again in the near future.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 AM

I thought the issue was that with TrueHD the studios have to go to the trouble of encoding a separate DD track for hardware that can't process TrueHD, while with DTS-HD MA, just encode that one track and your set, the DTS core can be extracted for hardware that can't process HD MA.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 AM

I think it's all the same issue, Cheez, i.e. the DTS core is there, the DD is not and requires additional encoding steps to be compliant.

I'm sure Josh will pop up to confirm or deny this, though.

I also wonder about the often discussed placebo effect on consumers with the generally higher volumes on the DTS mixes. I swear that just about everyone I know locally who has upgraded to lossless equipment talks about how much better DTS-HD MA is than TrueHD (not that any of them can explain why, save one who outright said it's louder, lol)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunyaga View Post
I think it's all the same issue, Cheez, i.e. the DTS core is there, the DD is not and requires additional encoding steps to be compliant.
They didn't go into too much technical detail, but I'm sure the need to encode a separate DD backup track was part of the issue that slowed down encoding times.

What they were clear on is that the industry shift was not based on quality (lossless is lossless, after all), licensing costs, or other technical issues beyond the fact that DTS's encoders were faster, and thus saved studios money.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
When Mike Palmer and I were at Dolby the other week, I specifically asked them about why TrueHD has lost so much ground to DTS-HD Master Audio on Blu-ray. They claim the issue wasn't licensing costs (as previously speculated), but simply a matter that TrueHD's encoding times look longer than DTS's. Time is money in Hollywood, and studios began to shift toward the faster method.

Dolby says that they've made efficiency improvements to speed up the process recently, and that TrueHD will start appearing on more titles again in the near future.
That's some cool info/insight!