'Sherlock: Season One' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Default 'Sherlock: Season One' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Sherlock: Season One' has just been posted. Aaron says this modern day take on Sherlock Holmes is well worth a look. This Blu-ray features excellent video (even if it is in 1080i), slightly troubled audio, and a few good extras. This is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3943/sherlock_s1.html
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM

I'll be picking this up. I enjoyed this far more than the Holmes theatrical release this year and I can't wait for more from the BBC on this series!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM

I loved this show and also enjoyed it more than the recent movie.
Spoiler
Is it cool to talk about Moriarty here or is that a spoiler? I noticed the review didn't mention him but I thought he was awesome.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
I loved this show and also enjoyed it more than the recent movie.
Spoiler
Is it cool to talk about Moriarty here or is that a spoiler? I noticed the review didn't mention him but I thought he was awesome.
Yeah I didn't mention that in the review, because it is a partial spoiler. And it's fun to find it out in the first episode. Feel free to talk about all that with spoiler tags.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 AM

I'm surprised a lossy DD track gets 3/5 and a 1080i/60 gets 4/5. You do realise both the audio and video has been slowed down from 1080i/50?

Another half assed effort from the BBC on both the UK and US release. I'll hold out for a better version down the line.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 AM

We have the UK release and it is being converted via a Samsung player and the slowdown is barely noticeable. Anyone on the fence I would highly recommend jumping on this. My wife and I both like different aspects of Sherlock legend and canon if you will and we both REALLY liked this. Only complaint is that those three episodes, albeit long ones as they are, go by way too quick
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spader View Post
I'm surprised a lossy DD track gets 3/5 and a 1080i/60 gets 4/5. You do realise both the audio and video has been slowed down from 1080i/50?

Another half assed effort from the BBC on both the UK and US release. I'll hold out for a better version down the line.
Is there a better option for native 25 fps content than slowing it down? I highly doubt there will be a better looking release than this.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM

General consensus is they got it out so fast in the UK by chucking the HD broadcasts masters on a disc at 1080i/25. If it actually was filmed at 25fps then fine (although questions should really be asked about that practice), if not and it was filmed at 24fps then this is a very poor show.

The US is a conversion from 50hz to 60hz and at 1080i, so you player will both deinterlaces this image and also takes the 60fps signal and tries to put it back to a smooth 24fps (or leave it and you get the NTSC jolting).

If it was filmed in 24FPS then providing it at 1080p/24 would be the way to go, obviously. If it was 25fps and needed to be slowed down for a US release then also presenting it at 1080p/24 is the way to go.

Both releases should have HD audio, using the broadcast DD track is a joke. The BBC are one of the few studios who are synonymous with lossy audio quality.

They'll probably rerelease this set in better quality after the Christmas special is aired, or the next season. I'm holding out for something substantially better than the HD broadcast rips.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:07 PM

If it was filmed at 25FPS it would have been because it was made for Television and here in the uk we still have analogue Pal TV's powered from a 50HZ mains supply making 25FPS the obvious choice. Analogue is being phased out region by region in favour of digital transmissions but this is on-going and by no means complete as yet.