Netflix Streaming-Only Service Launches DVD and Blu-ray Pricing Goes Up - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Netflix Streaming-Only Service Launches DVD and Blu-ray Pricing Goes Up

Though it's a huge boon for streaming customers, Blu-ray fans will be disappointed.

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/new-...ntly-plus.html
Old 11-22-2010, 02:27 PM

Hmmm.... this makes me likely to dump blu-ray access even more. As I said in another Netflix thread - I use the rentals to determine if a title is worth buying or not. Sure, blu-ray would be better for the rental but in the end, if I really like a film I'll just buy the blu-ray anyways. Im OK with renting the DVD version.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM

Just got my email from Nutflix.

1. The price of your current plan, which includes access to Blu-ray discs, is changing from $20.99 a month to $23.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

Well, that means it will increase by 3$ for me. I may have to downgrade to just two at a time then.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM

I only pay $16.99 for 3 at a time with Blockbuster by Mail, and pretty much all I rent are blu-rays, and I often get new releases on release day. Netflix seems to think they longer have any competition.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
I only pay $16.99 for 3 at a time with Blockbuster by Mail, and pretty much all I rent are blu-rays, and I often get new releases on release day. Netflix seems to think they longer have any competition.
True. True. But how much longer do you think Blockbuster can weather the storm? I predict that BB is in its final death throws right now and that it would be a wonder if they don't just throw in the towel at the end of this year. The timing with Netflix increasing it's prices seems to spell out that something is happening in the market that they feel confident enough to do this. While others keep their prices low (Redbox $1 dvd's and $1.50 Blu Ray).
Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
True. True. But how much longer do you think Blockbuster can weather the storm? I predict that BB is in its final death throws right now and that it would be a wonder if they don't just throw in the towel at the end of this year. The timing with Netflix increasing it's prices seems to spell out that something is happening in the market that they feel confident enough to do this. While others keep their prices low (Redbox $1 dvd's and $1.50 Blu Ray).
The Blockbuster bankruptcy filing was pretty much a coordinated filing, with major creditors agreeing to go along with the reorganization plan. So Blockbuster must laid out a survival plan that looked like it has fairly realistic chance of succeeding. And NCR is rapidly expanding their Blockbuster Express kiosk joint venture. The kiosk & mail rental is going well for them, its the B&M stores that they need to keep cutting loose.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I think it's obvious that they think what's happening in the market is that people are more interested in streaming than in renting discs through the mail. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. I fear that it is for most people, but speaking personally, even if there was anyplace locally that had close to the selection that Netflix *used* to offer, it seems so inconvenient now to have to drive somewhere to return a disc, and streaming movies is such a non-option for me for so many reasons at this point. I'm far less concerned about a price increase than I am with a service decrease, which is what we are getting with the way they are handling Blu-ray selection.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I think it's obvious that they think what's happening in the market is that people are more interested in streaming than in renting discs through the mail.
Or maybe more appropriately, that's what they want to happen. The cost of licensing titles is high, but amortized over a huge base of users, it's much cheaper than buying the appropriate amount of discs. The bandwidth is practically free.

Of course, until they get new releases within a few months of their release dates, streaming will not be an only option. People will wait to see movies, but there is a limit. People won't want 6+ months past release day to see a new release, if that's what they want to see. That makes it nearly a year since theatrical release date, which makes the movie old hat.

I, for one, don't have much interest in the streaming service. Titles disappear randomly and often without much notice. The quality is subpar. People complain of Blu-ray's selection, but the streaming is infinitely worse--a good half to 2/3s are low-rate B-movies. No 5.1 audio, and the SD titles look like...SD cable. HD is about as good as DVD. I only use the streaming service occasionally.

I don't mind the new price increase too much. It's annoying, but it's still a much better value than anything else out there. However, I will cancel if streaming becomes clear option #1, unless they massively improve the quality.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
We can certainly vote with our $$$ though. I've been signed up with BB for a month now and love it. If they're smart they'll use this really stupid/greedy move by Netflix to lure in tons of new customers.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 PM

How to Train Your Dragon is still a Long Wait on Netflix. This move means I'm canceling my disc subscription. I LOVE the streaming, so I'm glad the $7.99 price finally got here. As for Blockbuster...do they do a good job with shipping out Blus on time?