JP Jeunet Disowns Alien Resurrection Blu-ray Transfer - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Default JP Jeunet Disowns Alien Resurrection Blu-ray Transfer

French filmmaker Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of Alien Resurrection, has revealed on his personal blog that, unlike Ridley Scott for Alien and James Cameron for Aliens, he wasn't invited to supervise the remastering of his movie, included in the Alien Anthology Blu-ray. Jeunet has said that the BD of the fourth Alien installment has the picture quality of "a very mediocre DVD."

Jeunet sarcastically cites the tagline for the new box set: "On Blu-ray, everybody will hear you scream" only to add: "They got that right - scream with rage!"

On the other hand, Jeunet did supervise the remaster for the Blu-ray release of his first film, Delicatessen. He said that most of the sequences have been "de-grained," removing almost all the grain. He explains that there is some grain left "on some shots filmed on 400 ASA stock, and that would become too soft if we de-grained them more. The colors are like we had always wanted, and the result is, albeit imperfect, amazing if we compare it with what we were working from."

The City of Lost Children is expected to come out on Blu-ray this year, released by StudioCanal.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/al...tion-transfer/

http://www.jpjeunet-siteofficiel.com...1#comment-1097

Last edited by eNoize; 11-19-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
French filmmaker Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of Alien Resurrection, has revealed on his personal blog that, unlike Ridley Scott for Alien and James Cameron for Aliens, he wasn't invited to supervise the remastering of his movie, included in the Alien Anthology Blu-ray. Jeunet has said that the BD of the fourth Alien installment has the picture quality of "a very mediocre DVD."

Jeunet sarcastically cites the tagline for the new box set: "On Blu-ray, everybody will hear you scream" only to add: "They got that right - scream with rage!"

On the other hand, Jeunet did supervise the remaster for the Blu-ray release of his first film, Delicatessen. He said that most of the sequences have been "de-grained," removing almost all the grain. He explains that there is some grain left "on some shots filmed on 400 ASA stock, and that would become too soft if we de-grained them more. The colors are like we had always wanted, and the result is, albeit imperfect, amazing if we compare it with what we were working from."

The City of Lost Children is expected to come out on Blu-ray this year, released by StudioCanal.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5481

http://www.jpjeunet-siteofficiel.com...1#comment-1097
Sounds like he should have called Fox when they first said the set was coming to Blu-ray about a year ago.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM

There was no remastering of Resurrection for the set (which I do think is BS).
Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM

I already made my feelings known on his blog. I expected this for Alien 3, but not for Alien Resurrection. If he gets the opportunity to supervise his film then I will buy that version separately.

EDIT - I'm also excited that City of Lost Children is finally on its way to BD.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:08 PM

At least FOX has the intelligence to know that Alien and Aliens were the main draw and didn't mess up those transfers. Alien 3 and Resurrection quite frankly are a throw in. Why isn't David Fincher complaining that he wasn't invited? cause he knows the film was crap to begin with and the transfer isn't going to change that.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSireeBob View Post
At least FOX has the intelligence to know that Alien and Aliens were the main draw and didn't mess up those transfers. Alien 3 and Resurrection quite frankly are a throw in. Why isn't David Fincher complaining that he wasn't invited? cause he knows the film was crap to begin with and the transfer isn't going to change that.
But JP Jeunet wasn't fucked with like Fincher was during Alien 3. Fincher may have disowned the film, but that doesn't mean JP Juenet should disown his own flick.

I'm on JP's side.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 PM

This sucks for Jeunet, but I like most others bought the set for 1 and 2. I enjoy 3 and 4, but both are no where near the quality as Alien and Aliens.

But like you Cheez, I am very excited for City of Lost Children. At least he will get to supervise that transfer.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm not taking FOX's side, especially with the ridiculous MSRP for the US box, but I just think JP needs to realize that his film just isn't as important as Scott's or Cameron's. JP's made better
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Guys, the issue here is not that Fox remastered 3 and Resurrection and neglected to invite Fincher and Jeunet to participate. They didn't remaster the two movies at all, in the first place.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Guys, the issue here is not that Fox remastered 3 and Resurrection and neglected to invite Fincher and Jeunet to participate. They didn't remaster the two movies at all, in the first place.
But a lot of catalog titles don't get a brand new transfer. Most get the same from the dvd. Seems only the major titles get new ones. And I think the 1st two Alien movies qualify as major, while the last 2 don't.