Netflix is screwing Blu-ray subscribers; Please complain - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Default Netflix is screwing Blu-ray subscribers; Please complain

I have noticed a disturbing practice Netflix has begun doing lately. New catalog releases, as well as some new releases of TV shows on Blu-ray are not being offered, despite the fact that customers are paying an extra monthly fee to be able to rent blu-ray's. Netflix is charging for a service and not offering it. I have come up with a list of movies that have been released, or are about to be, on blu-ray but not on Netflix:

The Office Season 6
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 2
Alien Anthology
Back to the Future Trilogy
Psycho
Seven Samurai
Paths of Glory
The Maltese Falcon
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Metropolis
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Night of the Hunter
Modern Times
Crumb
Happy Together
Fallen Angels
Natural Born Killers
Any Given Sunday
Mona Lisa
Videodrome
Iron Monkey

There are probably more I haven't found, but as you can see many of these are very classic, and anyone who is paying to rent them on blu-ray should be able to rent them on blu-ray. Anyone with a Netflix subscription, please call their customer service at 1-866-716-0414 to complain about this.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM

Can add the BBC documentary, How the Earth Changed History to the list.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 PM

The studios are the ones you should be complaining about. They are the ones strong arming netflix and redbox. The studios dont want us to rent cheap movies. They want us to buy them.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 PM

I am equally concerned about the lack of sufficient copies of new titles. Very Long Wait ect.... Not sure what the studios have to do with how many copies of what Netflix buys. The have a say in when something can be streamed but I am unaware of them having a say in disk rentals. I could be wrong though.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Yeah I keep thinking that they're going to beef up their inventory, but it just seems to keep getting worse and worse. Ahh I miss the days when they first had blurays available and I don't think I ever had a wait of any kind. Its them just not getting more for the increasing demand. They put the majority of their focus on streaming, so basically they seem to just want to become a cable company I guess. I'd be complaining non-stop to them but they conveniently don't have an email address, which is most likely done on purpose because of this fact. I've been saying it for months now but I'm really REALLY close to canceling my subscription, especially with December coming up when its absolutely 100% impossible to rent a disk from them that even mentions christmas in it.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 AM

I still use Blockbuster's mail service and have no complaints. They also don't have the 28 day delay for those certain studios.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM

I noticed this when trying to get Clone Wars Season 2 on Blu. I've been waiting patiently for the release since FIOS doesn't carry Cartoon Network in HD. VERY disappointed. Netflix is definitely making a BAD move here. To not have Back to Future or Alien Anthology is just blatant disregard for their Blu customers. I'm this close to dropping Netflix and just using Redbox since they seem to be bumping up their Blu selection.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM

It's been mentioned before but Netflix has a strong interest in seeing streaming be the format of the future. They have invested a ton in it and studies are showing that it is working. I remember reading a recent study saying as many as 20% of people aged 18-30 are or have thought about ditching their television service because of the cost/benefit of streaming Netflix. Netflix wants Blu-ray to fade away, thats the reason for their extra charges for Blu-ray and probably the reason they aren't stocking a lot of catalog blus. Keep buying blus, Netflix will not change unless streaming becomes unappealing to the casual viewer.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Streaming is totally the future of television, and more power to them for that, but it's frustrating for those of us who have been using them as a source of a huge selection highest-quality movie rentals, because it seems like we simply don't have that option anymore. Blockbuster is also missing the same new to blu-ray catalog titles. There is no service available equal to what Netflix has offered us in the past, and that's the most frustrating thing.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbobarry View Post
I still use Blockbuster's mail service and have no complaints. They also don't have the 28 day delay for those certain studios.
Same here - very satisfied with Blockbuster by Mail service, and was constantly frustrated with Netflix before I switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
Streaming is totally the future of television, and more power to them for that, but it's frustrating for those of us who have been using them as a source of a huge selection highest-quality movie rentals, because it seems like we simply don't have that option anymore. Blockbuster is also missing the same new to blu-ray catalog titles. There is no service available equal to what Netflix has offered us in the past, and that's the most frustrating thing.
I just did a quick check of some of the titles listed - Blockbuster doesn't carry Back to the Future Trilogy or Alien Anthology, but they do carry most of the rest. Ones I check specially and they do carry is The Office Season 6, Psycho, Paths of Glory (didn't check, but I know they carry it as they sent to me on release day), Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon & Natural Born Killers. They sent me The Pacific disc 1&2 on release day, and I'm up to disc 5 which I just got yesterday. If Netflix does carry The Pacific, it won't be for another couple of weeks. They can keep their streaming service, I have a 100" screen & 1080p projector, I want blu-ray quality video and lossless audio.

But I don't think Netflix will listen to complaints, they'll listen when they start losing subscribers.