'Almost Famous' (UK Import) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Default 'Almost Famous' (UK Import) - High-Def Digest Review

'Almost Famous' (UK Import) - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Almost Famous' (UK Import) has just been posted. Nate says this is one of the best films of the last decade, and the last great film Cameron Crowe churned out before he went totally friggin' bonkers with 'Vanilla Sky' (listen to the audio commentary on the DVD for that film. The man has become an out of touch egomaniac!) This Blu-ray has fairly solid but not perfect video, pretty good audio, and an embarrassing lack of extras. This is a risky import. If you love the film, you may want to get this, otherwise, it may be worth waiting a little longer.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4339...famous_uk.html
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Cool movie, but I will wait for the U.S. release.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Great review Nate. Imported the UK version awhile ago since I love the movie, but I'll be hanging on to the bootleger dvd version until a blu release comes out with all the special features.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 PM

I own it, and I don't think the picture and sound is as bad as the reviewer thinks they are. It's like he was mad over the missing extras, and retaliated by looking for things you would normally not notice. Asking for the airline version? Whats with that?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Former Member

the lack of extras does not affect my score for anything besides extras.

the airline version comment is a joke. no one wants a film that's censored. it's just a comment that it does, in fact, exist, in a paragraph talking about cuts of the film.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 AM

You still seem to criticize as flaws what may have been artistic decisions.

Picture; You say 'The killer, though, was facial features.' Why is that a bad thing? Must the movie have closeups on peoples faces. 'The Matrix' did. Did seeing the pimple scars on Laurence Fishburne's face make it a better movie, no!

Sound; You say 'as we finally get the activity that would overpower dialogue, even at yelling levels, which many scenes before should have.' You completely lost me here. When exactly are these scenes supposed to have taken place? This is not an action movie where people are miraculously able to have conversations despite loud background noise. In real life you generally don't have that sort of conversations.