'Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore - 3D ' - HIgh-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Default 'Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore - 3D ' - HIgh-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore - 3D.' This isn't great, but it's better than nothing when 3D content remains so limited, plus, there's some 3D Looney Tunes goodness to be found in the extras. This Blu-ray features problematic 3D video, better audio, and the above mentioned extras. This is a weak release, but once 'Yogi Bear' hits home video, this one should be lookin' pretty, pretty, pretty good. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4057/cats_dogs2_3d.html
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM

I bought it. I don't know why. But I did. I was a child when the first hit theaters, and I must have watched that DVD 20 or so times. I loved it.

But this... It just looks bad. I may just go watch it to see if it's terrible!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Dlp?

Nate,

Just wondering if you're still using the Mits DLP, or if you have upgraded televisions recently? If you are still using the DLP, are you using the converter that solves the checkerboard issue? Let us know what your current set up it, and how you were viewing this 3D blu-ray.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Former Member

no, i'm using a panasonic viera 46" plasma for 3d content, and my mitsu dlp for 2d. my tech page will be updated soon.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Gt25?

Nate,

Is it a GT25. Have you been impressed with the 3D picture quality on other 3D blu-ray's so far?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Nate,

How was the 2D on the separate disc? I dont' have 3D yet, but the kids want to see it.

-H
Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Former Member

vid, will post full info later on my 3d set up. she be nowhere near me at the moment. as for being impressed, i've watched a number of 3d films so far, and i really do like my set up. i'm spoiled by my 65" dlp, but the 46" 3d plasma still has tons of detail, and black levels are just awesome as hell, 2d or 3d. my #1 concern is ghosting, as it has been present in varying levels in every 3d disc so far. some are super minor (christmas carol), some are hefty and nasty (i really wasn't fond of the cloudy disc).

harbinger, the 2d release of the film will be getting a review shortly. WB is sending out screeners on 2d, but not yet on 3d, and on this title, they decided to send out on/after release date, so it is in transit to me as of current. i wanted the 3d review score to only reflect the 3d, so as to not confuse consumers, even if the extras covered here cover all discs.

give 'er a few days, and i'll be giving this film....another....viewing.....
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Former Member

had to addend review just slightly. the 2D disc arrived, and it made clear the Looney Tunes short is also on the DVD release of the film. moved it from the HD-X section to the regular extras section, and moved a half star from the HD-X to the extras.

sorry about that, ya'll. the 3D packaging on this release does not make that clear, as it lists it as an exclusive.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Confused? My 3D review copy came with a DVD? Anyway, it meant that it was exclusively in 3D on the 3D disc lol.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Was there any obvious censor tampering with the movie? I liked the first film, but one thing that really annoyed me was how the film was so obviously messed with after the fact to get the kid friendly rating. For example, the fight sequences in the first visually could be called somewhat "badass", They were choreographed to look rather impressive, at times a bit over the top, but not so much so that they could be called cartoony, but cartoony bop and boing sound effects were added (and you could tell it was done later) to "soften" the fights.

It might have been ok if not for the fact that the sound effects in no way matched the tone of the visuals. It was too obvious. Just was wandering if the sequel suffered the same problem.