Our review of 'Highlander 2' has been posted. E says this is a bad
movie, but one that was ever so slightly improved by the director's
cut. Thsi Blu-ray is terrible, with extremely troubled video, better
audio, and a few recycled extras. One to avoid, unless you really,
REALLY love this disaster.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3856/highlander2.html
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM

I've always had a soft spot for the original Highlander. When the sequel was announced I went to see it the night it was released. Before walking in the theater, the earlier showing was letting out. A group of guys were having an angry conversation about how bad it was and how they wished they could un-see it. I decided right then and there to get my money back before the film started and forget there ever was a sequel. I guess my decision was valid because I haven't met one person who liked Highlander II.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowkt View Post
...I guess my decision was valid because I haven't met one person who liked Highlander II.
And today .... you meet that person (albeit impersonally and online).

Actually, I'm disappointed that there will probably never be a widescreen version of the theatrical H2 (let alone an HD release). I had the pan-and-scan Laserdisc way back in the 90's, but I don't recall there ever being a letterboxed version.

So, although I'm sure to eventually go down in a cannonball of flames in this thread, I will say this: H2 (whatever version) is certainly a flawed movie. And as M. Enois & DaveS1138 say, it is true that "there should only have been one"... I believe it's also true that H2 was the ONLY sequel to not outright disregard the first film. To me, that's worse than some quirkiness, high-fantasy, or bad cuts in whatever version of H2. And, I actually preferred the "aliens" backstory to the "they came from the past" revisionism of the latter H2 cuts (although the Renegade and 'final' version have a lot of cool not-to-miss extra scenes, such as the extended 'first encounter' between MacLeod and Louise).

But, my point is this: H2 actually acknowledged that "The Prize" was indeed what he said it was at the end of H1. That he had another power to mediate with people, although it made him mortal. And it was in him using the Prize unwisely, that he brought destruction upon himself and the world (all in the name of his weakness, love --consistent with the first movie). Then, although convoluted, they actually did THINK about a way to bridge the story to make him immortal once more ...and (here's the big part) a way to bring NEW immortals into the story, without negating the fact that he was the LAST immortal alive at the end of H1.

Every other Highlander film, including (especially) the TV series, totally "ignored" the fact that he killed the only other immortal at the end of the first film. I am actually shocked that so many (including good friends) have always outright accepted this BS, but can't reconcile the concept that (in the original H2) they were aliens banished to earth.

And, although I admit that General Katana's sudden desire to kill MacLeod is not explained and seemingly ill-timed .... I suppose that (following the conceits they laid out) it could be said that they were banished to let them all fight it out, down to the last one... so that Katana could then kill the last one for sport, as the final punishment. Although we only see MacLeod and Ramirez get banished, there was a whole shipload of 'revolutionaries' depicted, including someone who looked like a young Kurgan. So, one can presume they were all banished, and that was the battle. They were wiped of their memories, but driven to slaughter each other (as part of their punishment), until the only one left could be presumably easy-pickings for Katana to finish-off.

...still not buying it, huh?

Ok. Then I invite everyone to bring on all of your pathetic apologetic explanations for why in Highlander 3, 4, 5, and the TV series there are OTHER immortals still alive AFTER MacLeod clearly received The Prize (not to mention, his long-lost cousin, Duncan!)

Hate it, loath it, despise it, pee on its grave: Highlander 2 is the ONLY sequel that doesn't negate the original in its entirety.

Last edited by damonous; 11-17-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:00 PM

I like this mess of a film. I remember having the Renegade Version laserdisc special edition. The sound was always great.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 AM

I saw Highlander 2 in the theater before ever having seen the original. Some girl I knew (who liked the original) took me to see Highlander 2 on a date. I thought it was goofy, but fun. Too bad they can't at least make a good Blu-Ray of a bad movie. Virgina Madsen was smoking hot back then.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 AM

1st I agree with the review 100%, this is THE worst looking BD I've yet seen, even topping the Escape From NY German BD, and Lethal Weapon 2 HD DVD transfers. At times I seriously thought they spliced in VHS source.

As for the film, I used to moderate the official Highlander forums years ago, I've heard every convoluted, contrived, ridiculous, and outright insane idea why anyone can like Highlander 2. Fact is, it was an ill conceived idea to capitalize on a suprise cult hit that was expressely designed to be sequel proof(see The Crow: City of Angels for another example).

It's the same thing that ultimately makes Highlander 3, and Highlander the series bad, because when you view the 1st film, it's plainly obvious, they simply should not be lol. Highlander 2 just gets the brunt of it because it was by far the most poorly executed thing that should not be. So here's why Highlander 3, and the series were better 'things that should not be'.

All ignore the end of Highlander 1, they just do different things with it. Highlander 3 is the smoothest idea, see Connor really thought the Kurgan was the last guy, but Kane was sealed inside a cave the entire time, and it slipped his mind, so actually Kane is the last immortal for Connor to fight(both K names with raspy voices, and identical personalities, easy mistake).

Highlander the series just ignores any reference to any prize being had, and that the game is still well in play(and nearing the time of the gathering) with hundreds of immortals all being drawn toward an ultimate showdown.

Both of those are better than, their from another planet, or the distant past. IMO. That said, it's Highlander, it has Christopher Lambert saying "there can be only one" as only he can say it, and somehow Connery didn't walk out mid shoot, so I still enjoy watching this, as I do all things Highlander.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:04 AM

I clearly remember seeing this at the theatre with my brother and are girlfriends back in the day. I talked everyone into seeing it based on how great the first one was ...I was positive 2 would be even better.

Rarely have I made a bigger ass of myself.

I honestly have to say it may be the worst movie I have actually paid to see. I wouldn't buy this blu ray if it had a stick on it to use as a toilet plunger...I wouldn't want the shit from the movie to mix with regular feces. It's that bad.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 AM

I haven't seen Highlander II for many many years, but I remember enjoying it at the time. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this director's cut some time. I also agree with damonous that it was still better than any of the other sequels or the series. They just came over as a bit cheap, to be honest, and the idea that other immortals were around may seem like the only major conceit/flaw with them, but unlike Highlander II, it completely ruins the point of the first film, being about the final one. H2 at least didn't do that.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM

We must kill him before he dies! That's the plot!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 AM

When i first clicked on the link and saw two stars for the movie, I was shocked. Read the movie review portion and it made much more sense. Might have to Netflix this improved version of what was originally an absolutely horrendous movie.